Mixed emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

I do think that salary is competitive. Benefits, to the extent that I've used them, are good and employee contributions are reasonable. The HQ facility in Clayton is very nice and well-maintained. The cafeteria offers a good selection for lunch, including healthy choices, and is reasonably priced.

Cons

Having a dress code in this day -- no such thing as 'business causal' except for Friday. There seems to be a lot of managers, sr managers, directors, vp's, etc around in relation to people doing work. In my experience, policies and procedures are either not well documented or communicated -- a lot seems to be done ad hoc. Frequently the tools available to do one's job seem limited or not of the quality one would except of a company of this size/complexity. I appreciate working in a secure environment, but occasionally it makes me wonder.

I think there's much to a lot of the complaints posted. I've not experienced a lot of them, but I have seen evidence of them. I do think a great deal of one's experience at Centene depends on your work group/manager. I impose my own work life balance: I work when I'm there, when I leave I'm done. I think that the level of turn over in the organization, across levels and locations, is telling and is something that needs to be closely looked at by management. As someone said it is cheaper to retain good employees to hire/train new employees.

Other Reviews for Centene

mostly ok

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting, fast paced work environment.

Cons

confusing work flows, long hours

establish standard processes so that state start ups are less chaotic

Good benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has great benefits and incentives for workers. Tuition reimbursement is generous especially if you're a grad student, up to 10k per calendar yr and 5k yrly for undergrad.

Cons

In my department management was ineffective and less qualified ppl were allowed to run the show as long as they were buddies with upper management. Also, I worked there for over 2 yrs with no promotion. Within that time a new person came in as my counter part with less education than I and she ended up getting promoted 3 times within the last 6 months of my tenure there. She was favored, young and not a minority which contributed (imho) to her ability to move on so quickly.

They need a total overhaul and stop the favoritism.

There are newer employer reviews for Centene.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!