There are newer employer reviews for Centene

Mixed emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

I do think that salary is competitive. Benefits, to the extent that I've used them, are good and employee contributions are reasonable. The HQ facility in Clayton is very nice and well-maintained. The cafeteria offers a good selection for lunch, including healthy choices, and is reasonably priced.

Cons

Having a dress code in this day -- no such thing as 'business causal' except for Friday. There seems to be a lot of managers, sr managers, directors, vp's, etc around in relation to people doing work. In my experience, policies and procedures are either not well documented or communicated -- a lot seems to be done ad hoc. Frequently the tools available to do one's job seem limited or not of the quality one would except of a company of this size/complexity. I appreciate working in a secure environment, but occasionally it makes me wonder.

I think there's much to a lot of the complaints posted. I've not experienced a lot of them, but I have seen evidence of them. I do think a great deal of one's experience at Centene depends on your work group/manager. I impose my own work life balance: I work when I'm there, when I leave I'm done. I think that the level of turn over in the organization, across levels and locations, is telling and is something that needs to be closely looked at by management. As someone said it is cheaper to retain good employees to hire/train new employees.

185 Other Employee Reviews for Centene (View Most Recent)

FILL POSITIONS WITH THOSE WHO POSSESS CORRECT SKILL SETS

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

* Free parking in Clayton
    * Nice cafeteria
    * Decent benefits; nothing extraordinary

Cons

* People without skill sets to perform job duties are hired in on a very regular basis
    * People who have skill sets are overburdened because of this and have to pick up the slack for those that do not. Stop hiring friends or cheaping out and hiring the under-qualified to save a buck.
    * Massive lack of inter-departmental communication
    * Too much management, too few workers as has been repeated over and over by others
    * Snobby attitude of many in upper positions when working with those they consider "below" them.
    * Too many management employees who are not qualified for their positions; many of which do not even understand what their positions should entail. They are only in there because they possess a degree of some sort (generally not relevant to position), they are buddies with someone who got them promoted, took credit for an underlings work, etc. There are but a small handful that actually should remain in their jobs if a house cleaning would take place; speak to those who report to them. I guarantee that would be an eye-opener.
    * Some of us enjoy the type of work we are doing, but circumstances make even the most devoted question why they remain. The hours and expectations of a few employees while others do little to nothing, yet get paid like they are contributing, are out of control.

This would take a full house clean to make this company function as you would expect it to. Many good people are looking for other employment. Take my word for it you cannot function appropriately if they go. Stop and figure out where you went wrong and fix it.

Great Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great job. Love the benefits which are absolutely great. Great opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Constant change but that's government contracted work for you. Base salary isn't always the greatest

There are newer employer reviews for Centene

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!