There are newer employer reviews for Centene

Nothing says we don't trust or care about our employees like glass cubicles.

Current Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Clayton, MO
Current Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (less than a year)

Pros

On site cafe with a nice selection of healthy food choices.

Cons

Feels like you are constantly being monitored with all of the security. You have to use your badge to get just about anywhere and that includes leaving the building too.

Lets just say that you are on display all day and there is no privacy with the cubes being glass.

The managers offices seem more like closets than an actual office.

Massive turnover. It seems they cant get anyone to stay and that includes new hires who once they realize how awful a work environment Centene is they leave.

I have to assume that you are more interested in stock price than creating a healthy work environment.

reviews filtered by

Mixed emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I do think that salary is competitive. Benefits, to the extent that I've used them, are good and employee contributions are reasonable. The HQ facility in Clayton is very nice and well-maintained. The cafeteria offers a good selection for lunch, including healthy choices, and is reasonably priced.

Cons

Having a dress code in this day -- no such thing as 'business causal' except for Friday. There seems to be a lot of managers, sr managers, directors, vp's, etc around in relation to people doing work. In my experience, policies and procedures are either not well documented or communicated -- a lot seems to be done ad hoc. Frequently the tools available to do one's job seem limited or not of the quality one would except of a company of this size/complexity. I appreciate working in a secure environment, but occasionally it makes me wonder.

I think there's much to a lot of the complaints posted. I've not experienced a lot of them, but I have seen evidence of them. I do think a great deal of one's experience at Centene depends on your work group/manager. I impose my own work life balance: I work when I'm there, when I leave I'm done. I think that the level of turn over in the organization, across levels and locations, is telling and is something that needs to be closely looked at by management. As someone said it is cheaper to retain good employees to hire/train new employees.

Good benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and incentives for workers. Tuition reimbursement is generous especially if you're a grad student, up to 10k per calendar yr and 5k yrly for undergrad.

Cons

In my department management was ineffective and less qualified ppl were allowed to run the show as long as they were buddies with upper management. Also, I worked there for over 2 yrs with no promotion. Within that time a new person came in as my counter part with less education than I and she ended up getting promoted 3 times within the last 6 months of my tenure there. She was favored, young and not a minority which contributed (imho) to her ability to move on so quickly.

They need a total overhaul and stop the favoritism.

There are newer employer reviews for Centene