There are newer employer reviews for Centene

My experience at Centene was interesting and eye opening.

Former Employee - Contract Manager in Lexington, KY
Former Employee - Contract Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centene offers a good salary and benefits. Opportunities exist for those who are happy with complacency and being a "yes" man/woman.

Cons

Opportunities for growth and professional development are limited to a select group. Employees are not empowered to perform duties within the scope of their jobs. Some managers are not qualified to serve in leadership positions. Objectivity and fairness are not the norm. Some managers/leaders treat subordinates as if they are nothing and get away with the poor treatment.

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers. Listen to employees objectively. Empower employees to fully perform their jobs. Truly devote time and attention to professional growth and development for all and not a select few. Schedule mandatory feedback and communication training annually for ALL employees, regardless of the position or level.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

frustration, frustration, frustration

Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A3) in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A3) in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent for the area. If you have little kids, the daycare is great. The benefits are decent, not as good as they were when I started there, but still decent. If you have solid computer skills, they are willing to train on the medical insurance processing stuff (...to a point).

Cons

The atmosphere is lousy. People are treated like office equipment. There is no longterm direction or clear goals. I worked there for 7 years & it always felt like we were flying by the seat of our pants. The stress level is off the charts and it doesn't have to be. I feel like the company only cared about making money. Here we were processing claims for some of the most vulnerable of our population but there was never any concern for the patient or the doctors treating them. Their policy seemed to be to screw around long enough to wear the providers down until they gave up trying to get payment. As hard as it was to get proper payment out of Centene, no wonder providers are leary about taking on Medicaid patients. I found it deplorable. When any questions were raised about why we were taking on new states when we couldn't handle the ones we already had, they said it was growth. Any questions regarding the company itself were answered with statements of how the pay and benefits were good and if you didn't like it you could go elsewhere. The company is very "Top-Down" and there is no meaningful way for lowly workers to share ideas or suggestions. Management was very defensive and resistant to any ideas from underlings. I came to Centene with nearly 10 years of medical insurance experience and even when I found glaring errors in processing policies, I was told that "that was just how they do it." I even copied an entry from the CPT manual to back me up and contacted everyone I could think of ... no luck. A couple of years later, someone with a better title than me must have discovered the same policy error because it finally did get changed. Who knows how many claims were underpaid in the years preceding. I came from an atmosphere at my old company where everyone had a voice and the goal was to do it right the first time and if adjustments were needed down the road, take care to get those right. The patients and providers mattered. At Centene, the policy was just to shove it through, right or wrong and adjust it later, right or wrong (& possibly multiple times) ... which is a horrible, costly policy. Is the company growing? Sure, they are taking on new business all the time. Plans are dropping all the time, too, though. I truly believe that the only reason Centene is doing as well as it is is because there aren't enough reputable companies in the Medicaid business.

Advice to Management

You need a complete reboot. The top-down structure is ineffective. You hire people for their experience and then muzzle them. If you really wanted to improve the company you would re-vamp the entire culture to where people had a voice. You would really dig deep to find a moral core within the company's mission and revisit that constantly. Of course you need to make money. I am not against making money. However, when money is the driving force behind your business, everything else gets lost ... like ethics and responsibility. Also, the atmosphere when I was there was oppressive. There needs to be a shift where people feel like they matter. It should feel safe to both give and receive feedback. Meetings should be more open. There should be agendas with times allotted to cover the items including discussion. Items needing follow-up should be captured and assigned to a specific person (or group) for timebound follow-up. When I worked there, most meetings involved the supervisor reading a list of things, very little input and NO followup. On rare occasions when I felt we had made some progress, things fell through the cracks because the busy supervisor did not follow up. Don't be afraid to delegate. Let someone who is committed to whatever it is and who has less on their plate do the follow-up. Trust your people. Most employees want to do a good job and feel good about the job they do and the company they work for. Do your part, let them do theirs.

Great industry experience for students

Current Intern - Technology Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Intern - Technology Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene as an intern

Pros

- Great work environment - Good collaboration among team members - Sense of belonging and meaningful work - Coworkers are willing to answer questions and provide direction as needed - Management is focused on developing the intern and then providing full time employment opportunities if it is a good fit and positions are available

Cons

- There really aren't many cons that I have experienced so far. - A lot of departments/teams are involved in providing access to online applications, which requires approval from several managers and therefore takes some time before you get all the appropriate access. Not a major con but perhaps a small challenge to hitting the ground running.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and providing quality opportunities to college students looking to gain valuable industry experience.