Center for Disability Rights

rewarding.low pay good benefits

Former Employee - Home Health Aide
Former Employee - Home Health Aide

I worked at Center for Disability Rights

Pros

health insurance free
flexible hours
good company
good management
rewarding job
self-fulfillment
good resume builder
good job while in school

Cons

low pay
watching people use the company and take advantage of cdr cirriculum
dirty job
supervisors do not comply with company regulations

look into cases better to make sure clients aren't abusing cdr policies
better raises
make sure supervisors and clients comply with regulations

8 Other Employee Reviews for Center for Disability Rights (View Most Recent)

Great experience once a client was found.

Former Employee - Personal Care Aide in Canandaigua, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Care Aide in Canandaigua, NY

I worked at Center for Disability Rights part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the person I got the chance to work for. You ultimately get to choose your own hours and level of care you are giving.

Cons

Hard to find work even when there are so many people who need help.

Better communication throughout departments, more fax lines!

There are better places to work, only come here if there is nothing else.

Current Employee - CDR Staff
    Current Employee - CDR Staff

I have been working at Center for Disability Rights full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff really do want to make a difference, a great place to learn more about the value and necessity of rights for people with disabilities.

If you are an activist they give you plenty of opportunities to work in protests which is always fun. A number of the staff have been arrested in protests a few times for their protest tactics. CDR is serious about activism.

Cons

Management is atrocious. There is quite a bit of nepotism on the part of the board, so nothing really gets improved. CDR has a (well-deserved) reputation for being unprofessional, and authoritarian (to the point of tyrannical).

People are constantly miserable, due to the lack of respect given to staff. The previous review of "Constantly made to feel incompetent, even in front of other people" is VERY true, I've seen my supervisor disrespected by the CEO a few times, which is very embarrassing for everyone involved. The lack of training/professional development and turnover (which never gets addressed, I didn't even know one of the managers quit until 6 months after the fact... ridiculous. He wasn't in my department, but it is a prime example of the lack of communication here) is frustrating. I have been here for a short while and things used to be bearable, but it definitely got worse after the COO quit. People quit or get fired if they don't "fall in line with the regime", which leaves a lot of staff who have been here for years and are submissive and terrified, or who lack skills to find a job elsewhere. This all adds to the very desperate nature of the company culture. For all the "bonding" and "fun" that supposedly takes place, it's a pretty sad place to work.

I am looking for work outside of CDR, and I know many colleagues who are hoping to leave as well. I have worked here for a few years; I love the people here and my colleagues, and the radical mission of this organization. But I am at the end of my rope, this sense of fear that is pervasive (management can be extremely petty and defensive if you get on the wrong side of them, and they are well connected around the country. So everyone is scared to say something, for fear of not being able to work in disability rights again elsewhere), and the general misery that is here is pushing me out.

There needs to be an increase in accountability on the part of the board (which seems to be filled with yes-men and yes-women). Although in the past there were board members who may challenge management, they get pushed out. So the people left on the board are highly permissive of bad behavior and lack the ability to hold management accountable since they are all friends with management.

There also needs to be better communication from management to staff. We have regular staff meetings where we waste time talking about nothing, but the real questions and real issues people want to discuss doesn't get addressed. There is a cloud of mystery shrouded over everything, and no one knows what is going on. This leads to a lot of office gossip and distrust of management. Communicate in a sincere way and address uncomfortable issues head-on.

There are newer employer reviews for Center for Disability Rights