Center for Discovery

Short Term Learning Experience

Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Personal work experience with people that really care about you. Although the company is now over 200 employees, there are roughly thirty employees at each house. The staff I work with are extremely supportive and know you and care about you personally. It will help you grow personally and that in itself will help you grow in your career.

Cons

HORRIBLE benefit packages bad ethics of the company. Upper management could not place a face with my name. This job is emotionally hard and the compensation is not good. This job is the equivalent of an emotional punching bag, because the adolescents are extremely challenging.

Advice to Management

value your employees, look at our employee turnover!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. An Amazing Program with Amazing Staff Members!

Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The opportunity to play an enormous role in an individual's recovery and personal growth. -Hands on training and experience working in a residential treatment setting. -A genuine sense of fulfillment through working with adolescent in early recovery. -Supportive coworkers. -Excellent communication amongst counselors, therapists and program director. -Coworkers that genuinely care for the well being of the clients and other staff members. -Great experience running groups. -A genuine sense of enjoyment by showing up to work. -Upper management will always take the time to hear input/suggestion.

Cons

-Shifts can last longer than expected depending on events that take place on shift. -Starting pay could be better

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a work place that feels safe, hospitable and nurturing. Encourage more staff members to take advantage of the trainings that take place.

2. Not looking out for employees, or worse- CLIENTS!

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food You could have a supportive staff. I loved the staff at the first house I worked at, the second staff was cold and made the workday uncomfortable

Cons

This company does not care about their staff. Zero overtime, I have seen supervisors tell employees to clock out while they still may have over an hour of work left. I'm not entirely sure if that's legal. They are expanding nation wide but cutting support staff (diet-techs especially) and can't seem to afford to pay their employees for the time they give. Furthermore, the overall attitude of the treatment is so corporate, it doesn't feel like you're genuinely helping the clients. it's an environment that is supposed to foster authenticity in the clients seeking help, but I feel like I'm personally lying through my teeth to them. Antiquated therapy practices, doesn't even adjust the programming much for teens. I got into this field to help people, but we're just getting the ED clients reliant on supplements and barking rules at them all day. It feels fake and unethical. If you want a good resume booster going further in your career, you'll probably get a good recommendation if you can survive the stress and lack of support from the company. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves why this company was theoretically founded.. Is that still what's motivating your business?