Center for Discovery

Short Term Learning Experience

Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Personal work experience with people that really care about you. Although the company is now over 200 employees, there are roughly thirty employees at each house. The staff I work with are extremely supportive and know you and care about you personally. It will help you grow personally and that in itself will help you grow in your career.

Cons

HORRIBLE benefit packages bad ethics of the company. Upper management could not place a face with my name. This job is emotionally hard and the compensation is not good. This job is the equivalent of an emotional punching bag, because the adolescents are extremely challenging.

value your employees, look at our employee turnover!

17 Other Employee Reviews for Center for Discovery (View Most Recent)

Don't let a few bad apples fool you-CFD is the best in the business

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several behavioral health companies and CFD is the best in terms of its philosophy. Supportive ambitious leadership, major growth opportunities, 401K, awesome coworkers. no matter your position you have opportunities for your voice to be heard and give feedback

Cons

Of course working in mental health treatment especially residential can be challenging but that's anywhere; low pay for counselors but if you're getting your hours then it's not a big deal. benefits got better this year but still have a ways to go.

Continue to make staff appreciation a priority-it has gone a long way. let go of the employees that have no right being there (or in the mental health field at all); but to be fair it seems like with the size of this company its running pretty well; Dr. Brown visits each facility, has an open door policy and if you've ever heard him talk is clearly a very intelligent and humble guy.

Love these kids!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great people. We work with emotionally unstable teens and help them and their families get back on track. I am a masters student and love working at CFD. I am able to gain some hours toward my internship and get paid doing it! The kids here are difficult and need a lot of support. I am learning form them every day.

Cons

I wish I made more money, as we all do. When I first started I had to work mostly nights and weekends. Great for when I was in school but would now like some more day shifts. Sometimes the clients parents can be rude to staff.

Always let all staff know about openings to move up in the organization. Offer less expensive benefits package. Would be great to have even more trainings and CEU available in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Center for Discovery