Center for Discovery

www.centerfordiscovery.com
  www.centerfordiscovery.com
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Discovery

Okay while you look for something else

Current Employee - Counselor  in  Downey, CA
Current Employee - Counselor in Downey, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Lots of hours per diem
Very laid back
locations all over

Cons

Very high turn over
No room for advancement
Pay is awful

I have been here for 2 years (still employed) as an on call staff member. It was a good place when I was in school because I could work when I wanted to. After I graduated I was expecting to be hired on full time, or at least on call in my field of study (as i was told).

The problem is since I have been with the company (2 years) I have seen 18 members of the mgmt team leave. Which means the person who promised me a position after I graduated is long gone. After some back and forth with the new staff I was able to work the the capacity of what I went to school for (nursing) but they wanted to keep me at my same pay rate ($12) yeah, I don't think so. I was not even able to get a raise and I have been here 2 years.

The only reason I stick around it because working the night shift is super easy and not much work is involved. They continue to ask me to work nursing shift or a day shift but I refuse. But for $12 an hour at night to do nothing, sure I will stick around.

This is the type of company that will use and take advantage of you if you let them.

Pay your people what they are worth and good people will stick around

9 Other Employee Reviews for Center for Discovery (View Most Recent)

LIKE WORKING EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE WITH NO APPRECIATION??

Former Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Fremont, CA

I worked at Center for Discovery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved working with the clients and some of the staff were great.

Cons

Management is disorganized and had an unfair expectation of what a staff member should be doing.
    Kept terrible staff members even though they weren't doing their jobs while firing staff that were going above and beyond. Terrible, just terrible!!!!

Take a management class! Appreciate the good ones and get rid of the trash!

Not a bad place to start out

Current Employee - Drug and Alcohol Counselor  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Drug and Alcohol Counselor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with clients can be rewarding and most of the staff are great

Cons

Management can be prickly and hard to communicate with despite the "open door policy." Many employees have recently commiserated that it is time to look for a new job, and the company seems to be in some kind of state of change, but counseling staff is in the dark about what that change might entail.

Give counselors more positive feedback. We are dedicated and work hard for low wages because we love what we do. For each thing management points out we are doing wrong, we need at least a morsel of encouragement too. We are your front-line!

There are newer employer reviews for Center for Discovery

Worked for Center for Discovery? Contribute to the Community!