Center for Strategic and International Studies

csis.org
  csis.org
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

One of the better internships available to grow political research network and skills

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

Everybody is very professional and friendly.
Access to a wide variety of conferences held by CSIS and other organizations in the DC area.
Network at these events and make sure to attend as many as you can.

Cons

Not so much a con but you're still an intern and when the research associates are busy, you will be expected to do some of the more tedious work. But they do much of it as well and tend to avoid asking interns to do such things if they can.

Most internships at think tanks are unpaid.

Thank you, it was a great experience.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies (View Most Recent)

Great work experience and well recognized, Should hopefully lead to something promising

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

It is a great experience, and the work you get to do there is truly rewarding. I'm extremely proud of my work and time there, and am sad I could not have continued at CSIS with pay.

Cons

I felt when i was there depending on what project you were associated with, there was a varied amount of workload and expectations. There also are not very many positions for jobs.

Keep doing what you're doing

A good place to work...for a while

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

At CSIS, you are always dealing with very interesting and important issues. It is definitely nice getting paid to take an objective look at some of our nation's most important problems.

Cons

This is not a long-term career. Unless you have a Ph.D. and are a leader in your field, you will never be a scholar. Basically, you will never advance beyond an assistant position in which a significant portion of your time is filled with administrative work.

Research associates should receive more competitive pay. Also, the organization should better utilize associates' expertise, which is often pretty considerable.