There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

Great place to gain experience, people are friendly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

As an internship, it's a great way to network with people, learn about political research, and learn about event management with senior political figures. CSIS apparently fill nearly half of their staff positions from interns. The people that work their recognize it's an unpaid internship and make sure you know they value your contribution.

Cons

The internships are unpaid and there seems to be an expectation that you will work a full work week.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies (View Most Recent)

Positive, with some disappointing moments

Current Employee - Research Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

Interesting work, sometimes you can be busy which gives you a sense of purpose, my program is incredibly supportive of me taking time off to interview at other places.

Cons

I started interning there so I could eventually sustain a job. Full time positions are not plentiful and sometimes the work will make you lose a little steam because interns are everywhere. But I will say the opportunity is what you make of it.

Make us feel like we are actually contributing to something. I feel like you give us busy work until something important actually happens

One of the better internships available to grow political research network and skills

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros

Everybody is very professional and friendly.
    Access to a wide variety of conferences held by CSIS and other organizations in the DC area.
    Network at these events and make sure to attend as many as you can.

Cons

Not so much a con but you're still an intern and when the research associates are busy, you will be expected to do some of the more tedious work. But they do much of it as well and tend to avoid asking interns to do such things if they can.

Most internships at think tanks are unpaid.

Thank you, it was a great experience.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!