Center for Strategic and International Studies
csis.org Washington, DC 150 to 499 Employees

An interview for a position to kick-off a life's work in diplomacy

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou must be passionate about diplomacy and the responsibility that comes with conducting very high quality research that helps shapes the views of policymakers, public intellectuals, and the public at-large. CSIS represents a commitment to this ideal.

ConsSalaries can be more competitive, especially for retaining recent graduates from the top universities worldwide, many of whom otherwise go into consulting, banking, finance etc. where they know salaries are higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly suggest that management review their incentives for hiring and retaining the best recent graduates. More competitive salaries and basic incentives such as public policy leadership training seminars and stipends for all interns would be encouraging.

Great institution, some departments more so than others

Research Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Dr. Hamre has created a culture of accountability and a… Cons: My department was poorly organized and had low substantive output. The… Advice to Senior Management: Create a more responsive feedback mechanism to reward and encourage… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to gain experience, people are friendly.

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros: As an internship, it's a great way to network with people, learn about political research, and learn about event management with senior political figures. … Cons: The internships are unpaid and there seems to be an… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Center for Strategic and International Studies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Center for Strategic and International Studies CEO John Hamre. All reviews posted anonymously by Center for Strategic and International Studies employees.