Center for Strategic and International Studies

csis.org
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

great place to make a difference

Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC
Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The organization values and empowers its staff, treats them fairly, and challenges them. It focuses on policy-relevant scholarship with thorough and well-articulated analysis and practical recommendations for our country's leaders. It is forward-thinking, anticipating and indeed welcoming change, and it takes its bipartisanship and its integrity seriously.

Cons

I am unable to articulate any major weaknesses at this point, although I am still very new to CSIS so perhaps I will be able to do so later.

Advice to Management

You have a fantastic organization - keep taking care of your people, empowering them and allowing them to flourish!

reviews filtered by
  1. An interview for a position to kick-off a life's work in diplomacy

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You must be passionate about diplomacy and the responsibility that comes with conducting very high quality research that helps shapes the views of policymakers, public intellectuals, and the public at-large. CSIS represents a commitment to this ideal.

Cons

Salaries can be more competitive, especially for retaining recent graduates from the top universities worldwide, many of whom otherwise go into consulting, banking, finance etc. where they know salaries are higher.

Advice to Management

I would strongly suggest that management review their incentives for hiring and retaining the best recent graduates. More competitive salaries and basic incentives such as public policy leadership training seminars and stipends for all interns would be encouraging.

2. Great institution, some departments more so than others

Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Hamre has created a culture of accountability and a commitment to excellence. Upper management takes its mission goals seriously.

Cons

My department was poorly organized and had low substantive output. The Chair and fellows did not have a coherent plan of action.

Advice to Management

Create a more responsive feedback mechanism to reward and encourage top-notch work.