Intern--Didn't have too many responsibilities :(

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great international reputation, intelligent leadership, access to so many awesome DC conferences and events held right at the Center, cool experience to highlight on resume

Cons

I wanted to take on more responsibilities and projects than were given to me. During the summer DC can become kind-of a ghost town where real work isn't really prioritized. I felt a bit trapped by this and by the fact that there were several other younger interns in my department who got there first and were given more work than me. I just wish I could have taken away more from the experience than I did.

Utilize the interns better. Even if there isn't a current project to do, give them some research work or a small report to write in order to keep on top of current events.

Other Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

An interview for a position to kick-off a life's work in diplomacy

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You must be passionate about diplomacy and the responsibility that comes with conducting very high quality research that helps shapes the views of policymakers, public intellectuals, and the public at-large. CSIS represents a commitment to this ideal.

Cons

Salaries can be more competitive, especially for retaining recent graduates from the top universities worldwide, many of whom otherwise go into consulting, banking, finance etc. where they know salaries are higher.

I would strongly suggest that management review their incentives for hiring and retaining the best recent graduates. More competitive salaries and basic incentives such as public policy leadership training seminars and stipends for all interns would be encouraging.

Great institution, some departments more so than others

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Dr. Hamre has created a culture of accountability and a commitment to excellence. Upper management takes its mission goals seriously.

Cons

My department was poorly organized and had low substantive output. The Chair and fellows did not have a coherent plan of action.

Create a more responsive feedback mechanism to reward and encourage top-notch work.

There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!