Center for Strategic and International Studies

www.csis.org
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

Valuable research experience

Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC
Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The scholars were incredible, and I loved my coworkers. There was also a wonderful program for young professionals to gain more skills.

Cons

All in all, it was a great experience, but my internship was unpaid (which can be difficult in DC) and I heard that Research Assistants make a relatively low wage. Furthermore, I thought about coming back to work as an RA, but unfortunately, though they tend to like their jobs straight out of school, there is not much opportunity for career growth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

An amazing experience with a diverse group of brilliant, diverse people coming together to solve world problems.

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Exposure to many different issues, people, topics and opportunities. They like hiring from within and the internship program is regarded are very prestigious. Interns are treated the same as employees and are given their own tasks and projects throughout their time there.

Cons

It can be very long hours and research-heavy. Expect to clock a solid amount of hours and be able to handle a deadline work environment

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Intern--Didn't have too many responsibilities :(

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Great international reputation, intelligent leadership, access to so many awesome DC conferences and events held right at the Center, cool experience to highlight on resume

Cons

I wanted to take on more responsibilities and projects than were given to me. During the summer DC can become kind-of a ghost town where real work isn't really prioritized. I felt a bit trapped by this and by the fact that there were several other younger interns in my department who got there first and were given more work than me. I just wish I could have taken away more from the experience than I did.

Advice to Management

Utilize the interns better. Even if there isn't a current project to do, give them some research work or a small report to write in order to keep on top of current events.