Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
www.centralsan.org Martinez, CA 150 to 499 Employees

very mixed experience because of uneven leadership

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Central Contra Costa Sanitary District

Prosone of the old style agencies with good salaries and full benefits. Benefits include pension, full health, 401 in lieu of social security, wellness program, and an optional 457 deferred comp. They are a special district, and so not being state or county has advantages. Many workers work flex schedules when they can be accommodated. There are bargaining groups for all but the highest managers. Workers can gain retirement medical after 10 years service and reaching age 55. The retirement formula is 2%@55, equivalent to 2.5%@55 or better if a worker takes advantage of spiking rules (vacation sellback etc). Some positions pay a 5% bonus for a PE or CPA.

ConsOpportunities and fairness are uneven throughout the District. They are about to see substantial attrition through retirements, and their governing Board is incompetent, refusing to raise rates while incurring what is now ~ $100 million unfunded liability. Several longtime managers are also useless, with a ripple effect moving down from them. Sometimes management makes moves like moving chess pieces around, ignoring fairness and the right thing to do. The current contract expires Spring 2012, and at least one Board member has pledged to eliminate all pension spiking at that time. There can be limited opportunity for promotion due to older workers with long service. They try to add new "Tiers" every negotiation, with less benefits for each new Tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement skills are lacking in several high positions - some have little to no leadership skills, and I know of several examples of incompetence that have never been addressed. Make sure deserving workers are rewarded, and don't cowtow to your Board, they are running the District into the ground with unfunded liabilities and no rate increases.

Engineering Co-op

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
Martinez, CA

I worked at Central Contra Costa Sanitary District as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros: Varied projects, excellent staff, progressive philosophy Cons: I would have enjoyed working with other departments for a… Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

An old-fashioned place to make a career

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
Martinez, CA

I worked at Central Contra Costa Sanitary District full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good pay and benefits, no pressure to work overtime or… Cons: Monotonous work, dreary environment, lackluster IT. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Central Contra Costa Sanitary District.

Worked for Central Contra Costa Sanitary District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Central Contra Costa Sanitary District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Central Contra Costa Sanitary District CEO Roger S. Bailey. All reviews posted anonymously by Central Contra Costa Sanitary District employees.