There are newer employer reviews for Central Michigan University

Easy way to make money while going to school.

Former Employee - Campus Dining - General Position in Mount Pleasant, MI
Former Employee - Campus Dining - General Position in Mount Pleasant, MI

I worked at Central Michigan University

Pros

Flexible hours, Relaxed work environment, Variety of opportunities, One free meal per day.
Able to pick up extra shifts or take shifts off when needed.

Cons

You only make minimum wage, Management can sometimes play the favoritism game, Some coworkers (other students) can be incompetent. Fin

Advice to Management

In the case of Campus Dining, more than just seniority should play a role in student management selection. Also, employees should be trained a little better

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Under-appreciated, underpaid, and overworked

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Central Michigan University

Pros

The job is very flexible. As a business student, I was able to gain experience while continuing my education. For the most part, you create your own schedule according to the project you are on and time you may need off for personal/school reasons.

Cons

CMU-RC is a not-for-profit organization so the compensation is very low compared to similar positions at other consulting firms. When a dedicated co-worker asked for a raise for doing tasks that were outside of his job description and should have been performed by his supervisor, management denied him. Their excuse: "we are paying you in experience". Employee moral and satisfaction is not a priority, especially for intern positions.

Unfortunately, CMU-RC tries to provide the services of a consulting/ market research firm, but they lack the resources for their employees to provide these services.

Advice to Management

I don't see how the current management could improve to be functional. They lack the basic managerial skills, let alone the leadership skills, necessary to run a business. Communication and Strategic Planning are areas that need definite improvement. Employees are unsure of what they are working towards beyond a day-to-day basis.

2. A very flexible company

Current Employee - Cafeteria Assistant in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Cafeteria Assistant in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Central Michigan University

Pros

Flexible, good pay, great food, good team work

Cons

Bad management, waste a lot of food

Advice to Management

Donate food to homeless people. There is so much left over. Its really and for our community.