Central Refrigerated Service

Great place to start

Former Employee - Driver in Conley, GA
Former Employee - Driver in Conley, GA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

Central is a great place to start a driving career. In as little as 1.5 months, you can be driving your own truck and making decent money. Dispatch is usually professional and efficient. They do their best to keep you rolling, but they seem over-worked and don't like to be called over-the-phone unless a serious issue exists (though I don't blame them, as some drivers talk far too much).

Miles and pay is pretty straightforward. I consistently got about 2500 miles per week + at Central, and I took my 4 days of hometime every month. Pay per mile increases with experience, and detention and (maintenance, lack-of-freight) layover pay are available. Better companies with longer average runs (or more home time, whatever you're looking for) are out there, but Central is a great place to earn your CDL and experience.

Cons

The biggest downside is the idle limit. During winter, it's unnecessary to idle your truck because there is a electric space heater type device installed. No bonus is given for the low engine idle time in winter, but during summer engine idle time is limited to 30%. It's very necessary to idle the truck for the air conditioning in summer, so you may exceed 30% and get charged for it. The idle % is totally unaccountable and unpredictable, the driver doesn't have access to the figures used in the calculation. If you don't mind getting hit with a random, unpredictable charge in the summer months, CRS is the company for you! Though overall, a ~$50-80 over-idle charge per month (vs. a $2,000+ paycheck) won't kill you.

I know fuel is costly, but either make the idle % figures more accountable so that drivers can adjust their behavior/anticipate their penalty charges OR install APUs or other anti-idling equipment OR actually pay out the idle bonus that is advertised during the winter to make up for the summer idle charges.

This would go a long way towards driver retention.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Central Refrigerated Service (View Most Recent)

Great place to work with lots of responsibility.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

I like the authority you are given to take care of the various issues thrown at you at this job. They give you the tools necessary to service all customers and still maintain your self respect in the process.

Cons

The computer system we use is atrocious. I am very skilled in computers but the program makes me want to cry! Upper management seems to not understand the literal needs of certain shifts or they choose to ignore it. But overall we can scrape by, albeit difficult. I've been told that because of my individual efforts we have vastly increased the amount of freight we haul on certain accounts. However I received no compensation for this recognition and my work load has doubled.

Night shift needs 1-more training, and 2-more people for the increased workload they've been given.

Great place from the perspective of an office employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

If you are an office employee Central is a positive environment to work. I feel they are very fair and offer good benefits and try to keep the office employees happy. Things like a gym, BBQs, basketball court, and onsite grill are also nice.

Cons

It helps to have the right last name when working at Central. Having the "wrong" last name wont hurt you, but it does not give you that leg up on the pile.

Keep those drivers happy. They seem to have the most complaints about the company. If the drivers stay happy then the company will thrive. Thanks for all you do.

There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service