Central Refrigerated Service

www.centralref.com
  www.centralref.com
There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service

Good place to start if you are broke and do not have a job!

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA
Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

Speaking for the Fontana area, Best place to get your CDL. If you have no Job and your unemployment check is running out, you can go to school and have a job in a short amount of time.this is the bottom of the food chain when it comes to jobs
I did my research and Central has the best pay plan for your schooling, if you can commit to a year of poverty wages.
Decent equipment. Never had any major problems and when I minor issues the maintenance department took care of them.

Cons

I left on good terms so I am not a disgruntled employee. These are the facts. Read it if you are thinking about becoming a Truck Driver. Central is a training company. They don't pay! Expect to make 300 to 350 a week average when you go solo. Had four driver managers during my 18 months with them. All but one lied there a$$ off every time they talk to me. But I kept my cool and was always professional with them. On the road for 9 weeks from the first time I left Fontana to my first visit home. No freight going west they kept telling me... They do not have consistent freight, average is 1200 miles a week, average load 400 miles, if anyone tells you different they are either lying or misinformed. I was told only the bad drivers complained about bad miles but I did this for 18 months delivering hundreds of loads on time and still couldn't get miles. This is the only company I have ever worked for where I was available and ready to go but at the end of the week I owed them money. You may ask yourself how can you work for a company and owe them money but at Central its possible. Don't blame the DM its not his or her fault. They can help you if you need it, if you get a good one, but they don't plan the loads the planners do and they are only focused on one thing and that is the companies bottom line and probably there own bonus. It seems to me they are focus is On Time Delivery, you get a load going 500 miles and two days to do it. Hard to screw that up and be late.
Bottom line here is if you need to support a family. DON'T DO IT!
If you don't mind living in a Truck, working all kinds of different hours, eating lots of Subway, driving thru Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Snow storms, Ice covered roads and putting chains on tires in 10 degree weather while the wind is blowing 30mph for $300 a week be my guest. I not complaining about the conditions. This is the real deal but not for me at the pay they offer.
Lease Operator. I tried this too. "Plus side" more freedom, Manage your own idle time for comfort without penalty. Make a little more money around 400 to 450 a week. Truck governed at 65 MPH.
"Down Side" No miles, only way to make any money is to train others. Can't go home, Too many expenses that don't stop when you do. Don't listen to the guys selling you the lease. They lie lie lie. Every time you go to a terminal you will find a lease operator turning in the keys to his truck. ASK WHY! This company pumps out about 30 students a month ASK WHY! ASK yourself is this for you before you do it. And if you do be safe. Keep your head on straight. You are a rookie driver be careful and take your time to do it right and safe.

Treat your drivers with respect always, Not just when you meet them face to face. Base pay on performance not years of service. Fuel is expensive, everyone knows that but don't penalize your drivers for idling too much when they have to sit in the truck for 24 hours in Phoenix in 115 degree weather. There are laws against leaving an animal and kids in these conditions but you believe its ok to do it to drivers. Your drivers are the most important asset you have take care of them and they will take care of you!

35 Other Employee Reviews for Central Refrigerated Service (View Most Recent)

Great place to start

Former Employee - Driver in Conley, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Conley, GA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

Central is a great place to start a driving career. In as little as 1.5 months, you can be driving your own truck and making decent money. Dispatch is usually professional and efficient. They do their best to keep you rolling, but they seem over-worked and don't like to be called over-the-phone unless a serious issue exists (though I don't blame them, as some drivers talk far too much).

Miles and pay is pretty straightforward. I consistently got about 2500 miles per week + at Central, and I took my 4 days of hometime every month. Pay per mile increases with experience, and detention and (maintenance, lack-of-freight) layover pay are available. Better companies with longer average runs (or more home time, whatever you're looking for) are out there, but Central is a great place to earn your CDL and experience.

Cons

The biggest downside is the idle limit. During winter, it's unnecessary to idle your truck because there is a electric space heater type device installed. No bonus is given for the low engine idle time in winter, but during summer engine idle time is limited to 30%. It's very necessary to idle the truck for the air conditioning in summer, so you may exceed 30% and get charged for it. The idle % is totally unaccountable and unpredictable, the driver doesn't have access to the figures used in the calculation. If you don't mind getting hit with a random, unpredictable charge in the summer months, CRS is the company for you! Though overall, a ~$50-80 over-idle charge per month (vs. a $2,000+ paycheck) won't kill you.

I know fuel is costly, but either make the idle % figures more accountable so that drivers can adjust their behavior/anticipate their penalty charges OR install APUs or other anti-idling equipment OR actually pay out the idle bonus that is advertised during the winter to make up for the summer idle charges.

This would go a long way towards driver retention.

Great place to work with lots of responsibility.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

I like the authority you are given to take care of the various issues thrown at you at this job. They give you the tools necessary to service all customers and still maintain your self respect in the process.

Cons

The computer system we use is atrocious. I am very skilled in computers but the program makes me want to cry! Upper management seems to not understand the literal needs of certain shifts or they choose to ignore it. But overall we can scrape by, albeit difficult. I've been told that because of my individual efforts we have vastly increased the amount of freight we haul on certain accounts. However I received no compensation for this recognition and my work load has doubled.

Night shift needs 1-more training, and 2-more people for the increased workload they've been given.

There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service