One BIG Scam...after another and another and...

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  West Valley City, UT
Former Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Will hire new driver trainees without a CDL-A license or prior experience.

Cons

This company operates in chaos. Every department acts independently and as if they are their own little fiefdom, not as part of a team with common goals. They average over 170% turnover year in year out with their drivers. They currently have approx 350 fewer drivers working now than what they had 6 months ago. Hundreds of abandoned tractors sitting in their terminal yards. All office management personnel including your own manager only release their first name, last initial. No one wants anyone to know their last name.

Finally figure out that Everyone working in West Valley City, Fontana, Henderson & Conley are part of the Driver Support Function. Period.

Other Reviews for Central Refrigerated Service

Work and don't sit

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get a good Driver Manager and you'll get miles.

Cons

If you like to be home, don't work for this company.

Try hiring Driver Managers with at least 3 years otr experience so they have an idea how life on the road is for truck drivers

Good place to start if you are broke and do not have a job!

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

Speaking for the Fontana area, Best place to get your CDL. If you have no Job and your unemployment check is running out, you can go to school and have a job in a short amount of time.this is the bottom of the food chain when it comes to jobs
    I did my research and Central has the best pay plan for your schooling, if you can commit to a year of poverty wages.
    Decent equipment. Never had any major problems and when I minor issues the maintenance department took care of them.

Cons

I left on good terms so I am not a disgruntled employee. These are the facts. Read it if you are thinking about becoming a Truck Driver. Central is a training company. They don't pay! Expect to make 300 to 350 a week average when you go solo. Had four driver managers during my 18 months with them. All but one lied there a$$ off every time they talk to me. But I kept my cool and was always professional with them. On the road for 9 weeks from the first time I left Fontana to my first visit home. No freight going west they kept telling me... They do not have consistent freight, average is 1200 miles a week, average load 400 miles, if anyone tells you different they are either lying or misinformed. I was told only the bad drivers complained about bad miles but I did this for 18 months delivering hundreds of loads on time and still couldn't get miles. This is the only company I have ever worked for where I was available and ready to go but at the end of the week I owed them money. You may ask yourself how can you work for a company and owe them money but at Central its possible. Don't blame the DM its not his or her fault. They can help you if you need it, if you get a good one, but they don't plan the loads the planners do and they are only focused on one thing and that is the companies bottom line and probably there own bonus. It seems to me they are focus is On Time Delivery, you get a load going 500 miles and two days to do it. Hard to screw that up and be late.
    Bottom line here is if you need to support a family. DON'T DO IT!
    If you don't mind living in a Truck, working all kinds of different hours, eating lots of Subway, driving thru Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Snow storms, Ice covered roads and putting chains on tires in 10 degree weather while the wind is blowing 30mph for $300 a week be my guest. I not complaining about the conditions. This is the real deal but not for me at the pay they offer.
    Lease Operator. I tried this too. "Plus side" more freedom, Manage your own idle time for comfort without penalty. Make a little more money around 400 to 450 a week. Truck governed at 65 MPH.
    "Down Side" No miles, only way to make any money is to train others. Can't go home, Too many expenses that don't stop when you do. Don't listen to the guys selling you the lease. They lie lie lie. Every time you go to a terminal you will find a lease operator turning in the keys to his truck. ASK WHY! This company pumps out about 30 students a month ASK WHY! ASK yourself is this for you before you do it. And if you do be safe. Keep your head on straight. You are a rookie driver be careful and take your time to do it right and safe.

Treat your drivers with respect always, Not just when you meet them face to face. Base pay on performance not years of service. Fuel is expensive, everyone knows that but don't penalize your drivers for idling too much when they have to sit in the truck for 24 hours in Phoenix in 115 degree weather. There are laws against leaving an animal and kids in these conditions but you believe its ok to do it to drivers. Your drivers are the most important asset you have take care of them and they will take care of you!

There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service.

Worked for Central Refrigerated Service? Contribute to the Community!