Central Refrigerated Service

www.centralref.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service

Probably the best place to start.

Former Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in West Valley City, UT
Former Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Central for almost four years as a driver. I was one of the lucky ones who was lined up with a good fleet manager for most of the time that I was there. The second FM I had was also good at getting me miles, but wasn't a fun person to work with in terms of their personal disposition. I spent my first year as a company driver, and the rest of the time as a lease operator. A lot of drivers were suspicious of the lease/op program, but it works out for the better if you are committed to be a real over-the-road driver - which means, not a lot of home time. That's just the nature of the game. Think of it like being in the military, except being able to come home more often. I would have done this sooner, but the leasing folks advised me to work on getting more miles as a company driver before leasing a truck on my own. I appreciated their looking out for me like that. I never sensed that the corporate staff that they were trying to take advantage of drivers in any way. I felt like I had good support most of the time. I never had any trouble averaging 2500 miles a week. Really. I have the settlements to prove it. But that was only when I was flexible about my home time. That is the quantum leap a driver has to make. Accepting that turns OTR jobs like Central into gold. I also trained a few drivers and the money from that is great. I quit mainly because I wanted a straight 9-6 job and to be home every night. I left Central on good terms, and I enjoyed my time there. I loved seeing the country. That's one of the upsides of OTR - regional jobs are boring as hell, even if they do pay more steadily and home-time is more frequent. I have to hand it to the office staff for their patience most of the time. There were some bad eggs at corporate who didn't last long, who were just as negative as a lot of the drivers who worked for the company. But most office workers were very good to work with. Maybe this is because I tried to treat them with courtesy and patience at all times. Let me tell you about the majority drivers - and I got to know these people pretty well - criminal histories are not uncommon. These are people whose lives, for the most part, are not in order. They would have to make more money than an OTR driving job pays to live comfortably. They have child support to pay. Their wages are being garnished. They have no clue how to budget. They are a naturally disgruntled lot, as would anybody who isn't making enough money to make it is going to be. There are always going to be a high percentage of people who come to work for a rookie OTR company like Central who will be disgruntled no matter what. And, like almost ALL truckers, they exaggerate. A LOT. So take most of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Some people had bad fleet managers, and that's too bad. They just needed to shop around more and they would have found someone good. And when you bend over for them, they will bend over for you. Amazing how many of my students didn't get that, and would leave early on in their careers being severely and unfairly disgruntled.

Cons

The only criticism I could level at the company itself was it's somewhat rigid bureaucracy, and more especially, the people working night dispatch. Most of the time is was very difficult to get cooperation from them, even in critical situations. Like I implied, every company will have a few bad eggs. You just have to look at the big picture and forget about. "Git' er done," in essence. Sometimes you get stuck for a few days. It happens. I was stuck in Chicago for 5 days as load after load fell through. But that only happened once. Usually, they would get with a freight broker to get me moving after a day. Sometimes I missed time off deadlines. Not because they didn't try their best to get me home, but just because s--- happened. It's life. I don't understand people who expect a job to cater to their every whim and not give their all in return. Central was good, overall, to me because I tried to be good to them.

Advice to Management

A little more transparency with drivers about the company's strategies and finances. It's amazing how much that kind of openness engenders loyalty from all levels of the company. A little more leniency with ticky tacky accidents. I came a little too close to losing my job because of rules about "X number of accidents in X amount of time." These were things like little cracks on the bumper - of MY truck - and so forth - stuff that costs less than $500 to fix. I was told over and over how much of a great driver I was, and yet they were not lenient about what constituted an accident. Safety being paramount is understandable, but there is a huge difference in negligence between a small crack on the bumper that happens at slow speed in a snowy parking lot vs a rollover on the highway.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

L/O is a setup to fail

Former Contractor - Lease Operator in Reno, NV
    Former Contractor - Lease Operator in Reno, NV

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Traning program. Kind of decent equipment

Cons

Lease / operator program sucks Will lie on your DAC care less about their drivers

Advice to Management

Settle on the Law suit get a clue and fix your crooked ways

2. Getting better every day

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot has changed in the past year(2012) and it has been for the better. People in the office are being held more accountable for their actions and it's easier to gain recognition for a job well-done. I also love my coworkers - very laid back and they do their jobs well.

Cons

Drivers are still very hostile toward office workers. We are doing what we can to make them money and keep them moving but some are hell-bent on being in a sour mood and they don't care who gets caught in the cross-fire. It's hard to keep a happy attitude when you have someone spitting fire in your face for someone else's mess-up, ESPECIALLY when you're the one trying to fix it for them.

Advice to Management

Instead of 'Driver Retention' being our number one priority, I would like it amended to 'Employee Retention'. Distinguishing driver from office worker is only driving a wedge between two groups that generally dislike each other.