Great place to work with lots of responsibility.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  West Valley City, UT
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

I like the authority you are given to take care of the various issues thrown at you at this job. They give you the tools necessary to service all customers and still maintain your self respect in the process.

Cons

The computer system we use is atrocious. I am very skilled in computers but the program makes me want to cry! Upper management seems to not understand the literal needs of certain shifts or they choose to ignore it. But overall we can scrape by, albeit difficult. I've been told that because of my individual efforts we have vastly increased the amount of freight we haul on certain accounts. However I received no compensation for this recognition and my work load has doubled.

Night shift needs 1-more training, and 2-more people for the increased workload they've been given.

Other Reviews for Central Refrigerated Service

Great place from the perspective of an office employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

If you are an office employee Central is a positive environment to work. I feel they are very fair and offer good benefits and try to keep the office employees happy. Things like a gym, BBQs, basketball court, and onsite grill are also nice.

Cons

It helps to have the right last name when working at Central. Having the "wrong" last name wont hurt you, but it does not give you that leg up on the pile.

Keep those drivers happy. They seem to have the most complaints about the company. If the drivers stay happy then the company will thrive. Thanks for all you do.

Easy, low maintenance place to work for if you do you're job but, inconsistent poorly planned miles and crappy benefits.

Current Employee - Proffesional Driver  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Proffesional Driver in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

As I've said if you do you're job its a low maintenance environment. They don't bug you and they let you do you're job. The people are nice and doing the best they can within the structure and framework they have to work with. Overall there is good common sense and no annoying micro management. Unless your a screw up. the facility in West Valley city Utah is nice and they offer cheaper maintenance and repairs than over the road shops. Flexible in most things they try to help you succeed, within limits of the company, hands tied or not. This applies to the UT location others have been less helpful and professional. Overall there is more positive than negative about the company in general. They have the most cost effective training program there is to my knowledge and it wont leave you broke starting a new career. Safety is highly stressed and the training is good if brief to start but, then students have to spend over a month with a trainer over the road 24/7 then be reevaluated before hitting the road solo. Much more than some companies require. If you stay with the company one year you're schooling is paid in full.

Cons

Antiquated technology Qualcom system in most trucks. Other than the UT facility the few terminals are old, filthy, small, and broken down. The freight base was inconsistent at best before the economy went south now it plain sucks. If you spend days waiting for loads how can you spend any days with you're family? answer you can"t. The leasing dept. as with all companies are full of greasy used car salesmen lying their asses off to move trucks. The numbers they quote only work if you consistently get 2500-3000k miles per week. They will make no guarantees except what you will be charged regardless of their inability to put a week of freight together for you (Good Luck). Apparently when they hire personnel, they must list somewhere on the application that they have a complete and total inability to answer any phone anywhere inside the building even if it rings through a megaphone right next to you're ear!! Hold times are atrocious and on the weekends or nights pitch a tent start dinner cooking and you may have to shave again before you get a human being on the phone. the pay rate is substandard but would be acceptable if miles where consistent but they are not. The benefits package is awful and practically nonexistent for owner operators. They have no answer for the lease purchase programs other companies offer. So other than the tax write off (Which is offset by you're inability to save for taxes due to inconsistent freight which will leave you in tax trouble, which is exactly what a broke person needs) there is no advantage to staying with CRS. Unless you want to be broke and beholding to the IRS. In fact these other companies are offering a 30-100k incentive to leave CRS. The most i can afford to go home is every couple months for maybe two days and they have a hard time getting me there for that. And a hard time getting back on the road afterwords. In fact the load planners complete inability to put loads together, back to back, in any way that makes any sense whatsoever or, in a way that demonstrates an understanding of the old adage, that time is money, is almost completely mind numbing. The load planners are certainly the least drug tested people in the company and it shows regularly as they and the appointment setters must be forbidden to communicate ever upon pain of death. In conclusion this company has some major problems none of them unfix-able but as Ive seen no effort to fix them, i am job hunting. I hate to job hop but someone out there has to be doing better than this somewhere. If you're bottom line is the bottom line, as is mine, get trained here, stay a year, then start looking around for something better. It cant be that hard to find a company that will use you to the fullest extent of you're abilities and reward you in kind for it.

Fix IT or continue to lose the best and keep the worst. Its a no brainer really make yourself marketable and desirable compared to other companies and employees will stay.

There are newer employer reviews for Central Refrigerated Service.

Worked for Central Refrigerated Service? Contribute to the Community!