CenturyLink

www.centurylink.com
There are newer employer reviews for CenturyLink

Experience was good; may have been better if the workload wasn't as heavy.

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

Flexibility, pay, education, diversity, management, other

Cons

Constant attachment to job
Bonus
Room for advancement
Contractors
Lack of necessary certifications

967 Other Employee Reviews for CenturyLink (View Most Recent)

Chaos

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Bargained pay is in line with the job and cost of living of the Metro Area in order to support any kind of independent lifestyle.

Cons

1)The only thing consistent is inconsistency. 2)Benefits for being underwritten have out of the pocket expense that is outrageous. 3)401k poorly administered with choices. 4)ESOP plan gives too much fiduciary latitude to management, using funds as they choose until the 6-month mark comes to purchase shares. Who has ever heard of open enrollment on ESOP's? 4)Intergration is poorly executed, 'why reinvent the wheel'. 5)Too many vendors/outsourcing which create very poor relations with customer's receiving a one-call resolution. 6)Arrogant Sr Mgmt, feels like a hostile takeover and not buyout. 7)Micro managed. 8) Tools to do the job unstable. 9)Clear direction other than being the 'biggest' is an issue, no forthought. 10)Can be a very frustrating environment to perform to your ability. 11)Training is hasty and poorly executed with responsibility weighted on the employee. 12)Understaffed.

1)Get serious about being an appealing employer, rewarding your currently vested employees for their dedication and service. 2)Due diligence is required for your hold in the marketplace with salary, compensation, benefits, and internal training for advancement. $10-$12 is not a liveable wage to support the local economies if we are to uphold what's left of the American Dream. Thank goodness for Union! 3)Provide profit sharing to vested employees. 4)Systems and processes are in place, why work so hard to reinvent the wheel? 5)Get in the trenches. See what actually is going on day to day. Quit relying on the 'yes' mgmt who are ineffective. 6)Get out of NAFTA, the pendalum has gone way to the right. Everybody wants to understand the person they are working with on the other end of the phone!

One of the worst jobs I ever had

Former Employee - Directory Analyst in Decatur, IN
    Former Employee - Directory Analyst in Decatur, IN

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

I was a contract worker, and this could have been a decent job. A parking lot was provided, and the hours weren't bad.

Cons

Contractors were treated like the lowest of the low. I didn't get any kind of employee manual until I'd been there several months. There was no way to get time off; one woman got "written up" for missing work because her husband had chest pains so she took him to the hospital. Another woman was "written up" for returning late from a doctor's appointment which she was at because she was having a miscarriage. The training was useless. Those of us who were contract employees admitted that we had no idea what we were doing most of the time, but no one seemed to care until someone disconnected a 911 line.

Upper management needs to have some idea what middle management is doing. The place is a case study in how not to run a company.

There are newer employer reviews for CenturyLink