Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, stock purchase, local discounts

Cons

To much emphasis on process

Advice to Management

Try to streamline processes, and write them down.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The management team seems to be in over their head.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part is the friends I've made there amongst my peers. The benefits are decent. I'm thankful for the union.

Cons

CTL management seems to be in over their head with the acquisition of Qwest. The acquisition moved them into a very competitive market and it seems they were not prepared. They have resorted to a micro-management style in an attempt to keep their heads above water. CTL also insists on using vendors for some of the call center work who are poorly trained. Much of my job has become fixing the mess a vendor created (somehow the company is still convinced that vendors are saving us money). Not only is the quality of work poor from vendors, the customer service is as well. We get many complaints from customers who get transferred numerous times to reach the right department and who are given misinformation along the way that the more seasoned reps then have to dismantle and give the right info to the customer. All this takes repeated call backs from customers. We are seeing problems crop up with internet as well. Fiber doesn't do too well over copper. More and more of our customers are getting rid of our internet because we cannot get it working right for them. BTW, if you get a tech in the Philippines their answer is to send out a new modem (that's what happens when you stump the Philippine band (and it's fairly easy to stump them)... it must be the modem!. CTL's unifying principles and core values are a joke. Upper management needs to follow them and lead by example. Basically they are about 4 decades behind the times as to the most productive way to lead an organization. They need to take their marbles and go home.

Advice to Management

Lead by example... you do not follow the unifying principles that you expect employees to uphold. Start doing so! Stop micro-managing... what are you so afraid of that you have to have such tight control that squelches the creativity of those you manage? You seem to not be able to see the forest for the trees. Stop focusing on little stuff and address the big stuff.

Expected all from you, and didn't give you same in return.

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Associate in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Associate in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice incentives, own workspace, nice attendance policy

Cons

Constantly, to the literal minute, company policy changes that went into effect while on shift.

Advice to Management

I know it's a sale company, but having to offer on every call even if a customer is complaining about always being offered something on every call and to stop, is tacky.