There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Work nights and weekends

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Aggressive, bold leadership trying to change the healthcare industry for the better

Cons

No work life balance at all.

Chill out.

675 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Only do it as a last resort

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Pay is decent out of college, a little low.
    Easy to get a job. Really easy interview questions like "tell me about a time you had trouble making a decision"

Cons

It is pretty much Office Space: The Reality TV Show. Most people work at least 50 hours a week. Even more if you expect to move up in management. We're talking 70, 80 hour weeks for months on end. Weekends become required. Lives become non-existent. Most of the employees hate their jobs and hate the company. It makes for an extremely depressing atmosphere. You're very replaceable. Turnover is really high. Most of the employees view Cerner as a "temporary" job until they can find something better.

They're desperate for good employees right now. The bad reviews have made hiring good people very difficult. As far as I can tell nothing is being done to address this. At this point I'm pretty sure they're complacent with getting mediocre talent because it's cheaper that way.

However, if you're just looking for a job, they have extremely easy interviews. If you have a 3.0 or higher, a bachelor's degree in anything and can answer hard hitting questions like "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker", then you're almost guaranteed a job.

Take it as a last resort.

No advice, they know exactly what they're doing. Squeeze every last drop out of easily replaceable mediocre employees and drop them for new grads when it's all done.

Good place to start out, not great place to end up.

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

The gym across the street, the healthe clinic across the street, the cafeteria has great food. There is a lot of really smart people at Cerner, so you don't have to work next to morons... don't get me wrong there is a few out there I'm not sure about, but for the most part, everyone you talk to is pretty intelligent.

Cons

There are metrics used to gauge one's worth... nothing really matters except these metrics. With the current metric system, it's all about Quantity, not Quality. Focus on the closes, that's all they really care about. How quickly you close the SR, how often you close SRs, etc.

Re-advise the metric system, or do away with it all together. It causes serious stress for employees, it lowers client satisfaction (inadvertently), and it isn't completely accurate.
    -Stress: if you miss your marks a few times you can expect to be on your way out the door.
    -Client Satisfaction: If there is so much focus on getting closes, there is less focus on client satisfaction. Either you're working fast and providing poor resolutions, or your aiming for the easier SRs that get you quicker closes. Either way, spending a ton of time on the hard one doesn't make sense when you have to close X SRs a day, and you only have so much time to accomplish that goal.
    -Accuracy: Creating Training Videos, Documentation, Solutions, Quality of Resolutions Sent, Client Satisfaction, etc.... none of this really matters. At the end of the day, it's "What was your average closes per day, is it above your goal or not?" If it's not, it better be next quarter or you'll be on a plan.

I honestly love Cerner! However, the productivity metric system makes me want to find a new employer.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!