There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Horrible work life balance, tons of red tape, changing job descriptions - rat race.

Former Employee - Senior Solution Designer  in  Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Senior Solution Designer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Facilities and equipment are amazing
Great stock options
In house doctor offices

Cons

Long, long hours
Convoluted reporting structures
Changing job descriptions
Do not accept a sign on bonus, they will harass you for it if you leave within 3 years

Slow down and get your priorities in order
Have better short term vision
Don't harass your former employees for a few thousand dollars

671 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Don't bother unless you like a "good old boys" environment.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They rarely fire managers or new hires even if they make no contribution, they just pass people around to different groups.

Cons

Middle and upper management consist mainly of a set of good old boys who pretend to know the latest technologies and industry trends, but are really living in the '90's. They rest on the laurels gained merely from undeserved longevity. Those of us who are current in our skills and knowledge get no support or recognition, and most of our work is never even used.

Recognize the talent you have and stop pandering to new hires out of college who are using you only as a stepping stone to a better company.

Work hard, play hard

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Emphasis on learning
    Good team atmosphere
    Reasonable growth expectations
    Review process good enough to avoid 'surprises'

I have found it easier here than in my previous roles to develop relationships with my coworkers. Everyone I have met in the company seems to be supportive and willing to offer the knowledge they have. Many people are enthusiastic about their work here. Atmosphere is very collaborative.

Importance is put on health. As a result, the headquarters has a clinic and fitness center on site and the company has added incentives to promote a healthy lifestyle. As a result, teams organize time to play sports together. Works well as a team-builder and also as a way to break-up the work day.

Cons

Not everything on the technical side is documented. Although Cerner is working to correct this, it is still disorganized. I have found that even when documentation is available, it is difficult to find as it seems to have just been hap-hazardly strewn about the intranet. It is easy to become overwhelmed by the volume of information that comes to you with little-thought put into when and how it comes to you.

Cerner seems to want information available to employees in the way information is available through Google Search - but a search engine that ties together all of the information repositories is lacking. The search algorithms for individual repositories are poorly written and leave a lot to be desired.

The emphasis is on learning, but there is lack of direction to make the learning meaningful. I have been forced to attend several classes that had nothing to do with my role and ended up being mostly a waste of time for me.

I was told it was a good idea to find a mentor to help me move in the direction I want to go in the company, but have found that I have been given so much work that it is impossible to do the extra stuff I need to do to go in the direction I want to go (Unless I want to sacrifice my marriage for the career).

Was promised in the interview process 20% of my work day to devote to creativity and research projects of my own and have yet to see this realized for anyone I know in Cerner who is working in Software. Was told I was hired as a Software Developer, and was put into a Technical Support role instead. So, there is some dishonesty in the interviewing/hiring process. Lucky for us all, I have found that I enjoy troubleshooting, otherwise I would have probably left to seek a developer job at another company.

Be honest in the interview and in the hiring process. I have heard complaints at Cerner concerning retention rate of young associates. One's desire to stick with a job/position/company largely has to do with whether he/she is hired for the job he/she applied for. If people feel like they aren't being treated with respect and honesty, the will go elsewhere.

Allow direct managers to determine the training for their employees, especially for new-hires who are not Velocity. Since title (e.g. Software Engineer) is sometimes given to satisfy the ego of the associate rather than describe the role, training should probably be determined by role/team rather than personal position title.

Information on the company intranet websites needs to be better organized and structured to facilitate self-learning. Many teams and solutions need not only documentation, but learning plans to order the documentation in a way that makes it easy for new hires to get up to speed fast (a learning plan). It may be worthwhile to have a learning department at Cerner with the sole responsibility of producing documentation and learning plans, etc. since the company is seeing a lot of growth and has a real need to get its new employees up to speed on a very complex system very quickly.

From a software engineering standpoint, classes on OO Architectural patterns and Design patterns are really needed. If Cerner wants young Software Developers to be able to grow into their role and become effective software architects later, they will need to be guided by senior software architects in the design of efficient and reusable software systems. This training is even useful for those in troubleshooting roles who need to navigate modern software code. The principals of abstraction and decoupling can make it more difficult to identify problem areas in code if one is not familiar with the software architecture. This is especially true since I am aware of several Architecture patterns that were invented by Cerner and cannot be learned in a college classroom (not that architecture patterns are always taught in college anyway...).

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!