There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Churn and burn...

Current Employee - Velocity Business Consultant in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Velocity Business Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
Innovative buildings and workspaces
Clearly defined career paths
Well-known employer (within KC region)

Cons

Rigid hierarchical structure
Rank and file workers are easily replaceable
Long hours / low pay
Poorly managed, expensive self-managed health plan
Culture not suitable for everyone (for those, you will quit or be fired)
Mandatory 1.5 year period before eligibile for promotion
HIGH turnover
LOW morale

reviews filtered by

Software Engineer - Client Support (SWx)

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Average starting salary, good benefits such as 2 weeks vacation, medical/dental/vision insurance. I never heard of anyone getting laid off by the company although some people say employees just disappear. However, I did see that if you don't do well for some reason, they demote you. For example, I saw Software engineers being demoted to analysts and Team leads to regular engineers/analysts. This may be good if you really want to keep your job but a demotion will hurt you in your career.

Cons

Cerner is a company that hires primarily recent grads and has a high turnover. In my point of view, the reason for this is because the company does not take good care of its employees. I felt like a number when I worked there. They can afford to not care about their employees because if one leaves, 3 recent grads are ready to take the job. Working for Cerner is somewhat like a sweatshop. Do not expect a good salary increase or praise from anybody for doing your job. However, if you slack off, management will be quick in pointing that out. When I left, I did not get a formal HR exit interview which goes to show you employees are a number to the company. They did ask for all items lent out to you back such as the laptop and monitor. After that, nobody talks to you. Only take their offer if you don't get other offers. This is not a company you want to make a future out of. As an engineer, you will be doing primarily the work of an analyst because the real engineering stuff is in innovations where they design the software or in India.

Value your employees. They are actually people. I guess as long as hospitals keep paying the big bucks, CERNER can get away doing their sweatshop business as always as long as there are fresh recent grads ready to take the job.

Fast paced company with high expectations of employees. A great place to develop your career

Former Employee - Design Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Design Architect in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and opportunity to move around within the company

Cons

it's hard to maintain work/life balance

managers should spend more time listening to the people they manage and take their professional development seriously. It would help retention if employees knew their future was taken seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner