There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I guess the compensation is decent, although there's no pay for overtime.

Cons

Long hours, a 60 hour work week is not uncommon to finish a project Upper management that doesn't care about employees and only its bottom line Clunky and slow health information software that is far behind the competition

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

Software Engineer - Client Support (SWx)

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average starting salary, good benefits such as 2 weeks vacation, medical/dental/vision insurance. I never heard of anyone getting laid off by the company although some people say employees just disappear. However, I did see that if you don't do well for some reason, they demote you. For example, I saw Software engineers being demoted to analysts and Team leads to regular engineers/analysts. This may be good if you really want to keep your job but a demotion will hurt you in your career.

Cons

Cerner is a company that hires primarily recent grads and has a high turnover. In my point of view, the reason for this is because the company does not take good care of its employees. I felt like a number when I worked there. They can afford to not care about their employees because if one leaves, 3 recent grads are ready to take the job. Working for Cerner is somewhat like a sweatshop. Do not expect a good salary increase or praise from anybody for doing your job. However, if you slack off, management will be quick in pointing that out. When I left, I did not get a formal HR exit interview which goes to show you employees are a number to the company. They did ask for all items lent out to you back such as the laptop and monitor. After that, nobody talks to you. Only take their offer if you don't get other offers. This is not a company you want to make a future out of. As an engineer, you will be doing primarily the work of an analyst because the real engineering stuff is in innovations where they design the software or in India.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. They are actually people. I guess as long as hospitals keep paying the big bucks, CERNER can get away doing their sweatshop business as always as long as there are fresh recent grads ready to take the job.

Churn and burn...

Current Employee - Velocity Business Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Velocity Business Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology Innovative buildings and workspaces Clearly defined career paths Well-known employer (within KC region)

Cons

Rigid hierarchical structure Rank and file workers are easily replaceable Long hours / low pay Poorly managed, expensive self-managed health plan Culture not suitable for everyone (for those, you will quit or be fired) Mandatory 1.5 year period before eligibile for promotion HIGH turnover LOW morale