Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. health clinic on site. fitness center on site. Medical software is booming right now so the market is very big.

Cons

Very slow development process. Teams do not cooperate. Low salaries. Salary growth is very slow. So-called "Cerner culture" is something that always pissed me off. Not too many smart people around. Those who are smart, they don't talk/interact with "others". often your career depends on who you know and who is your friend (that's how you can move in a good team and get a cool project or even travel somewhere nice, like Dubai, or France...)

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

1. Good Opportunities

Current Employee - Advisory Solution Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Advisory Solution Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally a growing company with lots of opportunities.

Cons

Politics can be an issue. Culture of long hours.

Pretty good if you are fortunate to be in a good team.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate to be in one of the teams that does not work the way cerner has worked traditionally. We work more like a startup , put less emphasis on the red tape and process and actually get a lot of work done. Unfortunately this isn't true for lot of other people that I know. Some pros that I can think of top of my head. 1. Start up like culture. 2. Lot of room for growth. 3. Given lot of responsibilities early in my career. 4. Lean company.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the range compared to similar companies. Company does not value its employees and does not reward them well. I guess this flows from the top. Employees are just treated as resources which leads to lot of attrition. A lot of good employees knowing that they can get better compensated/rewarded elsewhere will eventually leave after 3-5 years in the company. As a result the company ends up with mediocre employees which will lead to mediocre products that look and work like crap.

Advice to Management

Employees are what drive the value of your company. Take good care and compensate them well. Hiring standards need to improve drastically , a bunch of behavioral questions is not going to tell who is a good engineer and who is not.