Cerner

www.cerner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Biggest mistake of my career...

Former Employee - Finance Senior Manager in North Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Finance Senior Manager in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits. If you do decide to work at this place, make sure you ask for top-dollar. They will pay it.

Cons

Horrid work/life balance. Very unprofessional and inexperienced management. Very antiquated processes. Bizzare "Banding" process and evaluation based on overtime hours, not end results. Way to many chiefs and not enough indians. I was looking for the door after 6 weeks and I was a Sr. Manager.

Stop lying to new hires. Stop promoting unqualified people to exec positions and then ignoring what they do...they will kill your company in the long-run. When this company is bought-out by MSoft, Oracle, or some foreign entity, the company will be gutted and most management will be replaced by real professionals.

798 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Pretty good if you are fortunate to be in a good team.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate to be in one of the teams that does not work the way cerner has worked traditionally. We work more like a startup , put less emphasis on the red tape and process and actually get a lot of work done. Unfortunately this isn't true for lot of other people that I know.

Some pros that I can think of top of my head.
    1. Start up like culture.
    2. Lot of room for growth.
    3. Given lot of responsibilities early in my career.
    4. Lean company.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the range compared to similar companies. Company does not value its employees and does not reward them well. I guess this flows from the top. Employees are just treated as resources which leads to lot of attrition.

A lot of good employees knowing that they can get better compensated/rewarded elsewhere will eventually leave after 3-5 years in the company. As a result the company ends up with mediocre employees which will lead to mediocre products that look and work like crap.

Employees are what drive the value of your company. Take good care and compensate them well. Hiring standards need to improve drastically , a bunch of behavioral questions is not going to tell who is a good engineer and who is not.

No work life balance. Do not work here if you have kids. Cernerworks leadership sucks,

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun technology. Lots of opportunity to transfer within

Cons

75+ hour weeks are the norm. I have never worked less than a 60 hour week. Even during a slow time I will work 60 hours a week. Oncall is all the time. They cannot attract talented system engineers due to below industry pay and a horrible reputation within the IT community. They will lie to you about the hours just to get you onboard.

Give us a break. Let us leave work at work Dont make me miss my daughters birthday to satisfy an arbitrary deadline. Clean house at the director level and above across cernerworks.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner