Healthcare innovation and disruption

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great people, aggressively innovative, great vision and motivated culture, comprehensive approach to building the patient centric electronic health record, poised for growth - constantly focuses on "what's next".

Cons

A bit too focused on cost control and profit margins instead of using it's tremendous cash reserves to expand its reach and influence into new areas. Does not seem to value older associates with experience.

Advice to Management

Don't give up on the legacy applications. There is a lot of innovation left in the electronic record.

reviews filtered by
  1. Truly innovative

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Cerner is definitely dedicated to the improvement of health care systems, which makes any job related to IP dev rewarding.
    2) Training is heavily invested in. New associates aren't expected to know every single detail when brought on.
    3) Cerner has an approach of hiring as much talent as they can, as opposed to squeezing every last bit out of existing employees. While projects can become a bit overwhelming, new hires and consultants are being brought on every week to help.
    4) They really do invest a ton of time in testing code, which is nice because if you make a mistake, it will almost always get caught before going to production.

Cons

1) Parking for new hires is pretty bad.
    2) Management can be unorganized, with sudden changes happening to projects quite frequently.

Advice to Management

Focus more on rewarding employees who deliver as opposed to those who have been with the company for years.

2. Cerner invests in their associates.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience; highly intelligent associates; sr. leadership is visionary; the applications we build affect me, my family, and friends; leadership has invested time and energy into my career growth; great benefits (I walk downstairs to go to the clinic & pharmacy).

Cons

Cerner is growing very fast and we are experiencing physical growing pains with parking and seating challenges. But that's a good problem to have!