Cerner

www.cerner.com

Good intentions but a little lacking on the technical side of things.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros-Health care software is important. They aren't making stupid apps or other software toys; they are making important products, they know this and they take it seriously. They are working closely with clients to develop requirements for their software.
-If you work hard you can go home and still work reasonable hours. True, there are a lot of people who get in early and stay late, but they weren't accomplishing any more than I was, they just wanted to make it appear like they were working really hard for their performance evaluations I suppose. I worked about 45-50 hour weeks. I never had an issue getting a raise and always got my tasks in on time. Moving up in a big company is mostly a political process, sure. Just make sure you interact with your manager daily and keep them up to date and they will know how hard you work.
-All of the software engineers in my department were very competent and I enjoyed working with them.
-They are building a large gym in the middle of the engineering buildings. A lot of people have been asking for this and are going to be really happy.

Cons-There is quite a bit of legacy software still floating around on any of the established teams. It is hard to keep up to date; it really needs to be just rewritten or dropped. There are many newer teams working on modern software designs that don't have this problem. Unfortunately I was not on those teams.
-The cafeteria food is cheap in quality but not price. But it was convenient so I ate it everyday.
-Ironically, the health insurance plan is weak. It is expensive even after a program to earn points and lower the premiums. There are only a few doctors onsite for thousands of employees and their families. I waited weeks for an appointment.
-A lot of emphasis is placed on teaching engineers about medical business rules and roles. They believe that if the engineers think like a nurse they will write bug free software for nurses. In reality if all of that time was spent instead teaching them to think like engineers through actual technical training and discussion and leave the designers (who are nurses) to think like nurses, the software would probably be more bug free. Leave the software architects who are already experienced engineers to seeing both sides of the picture, and let the engineers just focus on being good engineers.
-A lot of testing in my department was done manually. This takes weeks and misses things whereas automated testing would take hours and not miss those same things. I understand it takes time to invest in automated testing and time is money. But spend the time and money, because you lose both with manual testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy immediate manager was actually very skilled and I don't have advice for him. Though I think the higher up in management you get, the further you are from the issues that affect the people below you, so just make sure to keep up dialogue with the managers and people below you and stay on top of all the details about the software that you are responsible for.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Really enjoyed the people I worked with. There are interesting problems to solve. Company… Cons: Never felt like much was accomplished. Not much energy was spent on design, just worried about… Advice to Senior Management: A solution cannot be everything to everybody. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good tmp company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros: In general, things are organized. Good team setup Decent salary Cons: Mostly located in Kansas City. KC's only pro is that it's cheap. Nothing to do here and lacks international presence. Most people who work here… Advice to Senior Management: They're aware a lot of people leave after a few years. They are aggressive about… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!