There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Long hours. Unappreciated effort.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was decent. A few good employees. A good place for entry-level college grads who can be "programmed" into the Cerner way of thinking.

Cons

Benefits were sub-par. Hours expected to work were ridiculous. 65-70 hours weeks were not uncommon. Constant firedrills due to management's lack of direction. Unfortunately management didn't recognize any suggestions for improvement other than their own. Seemed company had a knack of hiring people that were either inexperienced or incompetent. It was obvious a lot of people were just there for a paycheck. Somehow they managed to keep their jobs. The good employees only stayed for a year or two then left the company. This was by far the most poorly managed, unorganized, dysfunctional place I've ever worked.

Do something, anything, to keep good employees. And for God's sake, be serious when you give your "work/life balance" propaganda speeches.

709 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Excellent opportunities for growth; flexibility a necessity.

Current Employee - Client Results Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Client Results Executive in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you put your energy into going the extra mile, limiting your use of the phrase "that is not my job", and are determined to succeed, you will go far, fast here.

Cons

Nearly every job with a good trajectory for your career requires a significant amount of travel. 50+%

Focus on where you want the company to succeed, not on everything that could potentially be done. Empower employees to fix problems before they become disasters.

Summer Internship at Cerner

Former Employee - Velocity Software Engineer Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Velocity Software Engineer Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-I learned a lot about the different tools and processes of Agile development by working in a software development team
    -People were friendly and helpful
    -Free stuff. I got a T-shirt, a laptop bag, a hoodie, a notepad + pen, and unlimited coffee while at work
    -Employee discounts on certain items

Cons

I have no big cons, only a few minor things:
    -Sometimes parking was in short supply
    -The commute from the UMKC dorms where the interns were staying to the Cerner Innovation Campus was kind of long

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner