Cerner
www.cerner.com Kansas City, MO 5000+ Employees

Great for college kids...

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDespite all the negative talk that goes around town with this place, there are a few pros to be had with them. MOST people have the chance to think and bring up ideas and run with them, though lots of management will take credit and keep you behind the scenes. That is really all I can think of. Stock is doing great and the benefits are pretty nice (if single) many with families find insurance with other places due to high rates.

ConsThere are many cons to this place. Most positions will have you working night and day with no thanks, or just hand you a pair of tickets, that is almost an insult. They never look out of the employee, only what is good for personal gain by the uppers and cabinet. You get shuffled around like cattle and they do not care, you are but a number. Reviews are based on visibility, so if you never get seen, you will never get a good raise and there is always a fall guy on the team to take the low review. They only hire college kids pretty much that are worthless because they have no real experience, but they would rather hire 3 people for the same salary as one guy that has a clue. They like to throw people at problems and that will fix it. It is a large company yet still feels like a start up business in many regards. You cannot trust HR, they will not keep things in confidence, and I would not trust anyone there. There are a few killer people there that are great and hold the company together, I am glad to have worked with all of those people. Salary is on the low end for any job in the KC market via IT. The company seems to strive on drama. Moving internally is usually doable if you do not like something, but many managers will block you. Do not believe the hype, they will lie to get you to join.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have way to many managers and not enough workers. You need to get a grip on what is going on internally, as you do not have a clue. You must start doing things with the worker in mind and not treat them as if they are cattle for your own personal gain. This is not a mom and pop shop, you must grow up and treat it like a stream lined enterprise. It is your company, yet you haven't a clue what is going on inside it. Wake up.

Highly political. Little opportunity for real advancement.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Some good opportunities for training, and they seem willing to… Cons: Quality engineering takes a backseat to shiny marketing. Highly… Advice to Senior Management: Build first, sell when you know it works. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Innovation, critical thinking, and dedication

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros: The young atmosphere creates an atmosphere that's fun to work… Cons: I wish there was more of an emphasis on developing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees.