There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Blinded by all of the perks

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great insurance, starting salary is good

Cons

No input as to where you'll be placed. I was asked if I wanted to travel or not. I said no because I was a newlywed and new to the area. I didn't want to be gone all of the time and leave him home alone. That was the only input I got. I graduated with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems. They put me on a patient accounting team. I thought initially that I could learn the software and be successful. What they didn't tell me is that our team would be responsible for balancing hospitals books. I took my 2 required accounting courses in college. This wasn't enough to know how to keep a hospitals books in balance. I spoke to my mentor and manager repeatedly about my struggles. Everyone on my team had the attitude that they had it harder than I did and that it was almost a right of passage to be completely overwhelmed, lost and 100% confused for the first 18 months or so. I'm a hard worker and I take a lot of pride in doing a job well, so this ended up causing severe depression and even health problems. After a year at Cerner, I decided that my salary wasn't worth risking my health. I quit. I took a job with a pay cut and it's amazing how much happier I am and healthier I am. Taking a lunch hour was looked down on. Leaving campus to go to the doctor was also a mess. We had "unlimited sick leave" but that wasn't the truth. I had to make up hours when I left campus to go to the doctor. Parking was a disaster. When I started they told us we would have to be shuttled from another site onto campus for the first month. When I left the company a year later, I was still taking the shuttle. I read reviews on here when I was going to KC to interview but I just thought the few negative comments were disgruntled employees. I wish now that I would have taken them into consideration.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't need to be based on tenure. Just because someone has been with the company doesn't mean they are good management material. Maybe you should consider going for people with some background in management or just someone that cares about people. My manager was cold. She didn't care about us as people. It was an unfortunate experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Cultural activity was so good and attractive

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Good people and good team organizing spirit .

Cons

Management was to be improved more .

Advice to Management

Improve team managing

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long term career potential Working with very intelligent people Gym on site

Cons

Poor management False hope Feeling 'stuck' in a role because it benefits the team when talents could be utilized in other roles Micro managed Feeling guilty for using a sick day when you are actually very Ill Extremely draining and hard not to leave work at work Expected to work through lunch and clock extra hours consistently On-call responsibilities periodically with no extra pay Hiring people in who are fast - tracked to higher roles when other current associates are equally if not more qualified. It makes them feel unimportant. Good luck getting into the walk in clinic on site when you are sick

Advice to Management

Listen to your associate feedback. Is it really worth losing a valued associate because you won't match pay that the person should be receiving in a higher role with more responsibility? There is a lot of turnover because people find that they can earn more and have a better work life balance outside of Cerner.