Cerner

www.cerner.com

Blinded by all of the perks

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great insurance, starting salary is good

Cons

No input as to where you'll be placed. I was asked if I wanted to travel or not. I said no because I was a newlywed and new to the area. I didn't want to be gone all of the time and leave him home alone. That was the only input I got. I graduated with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems. They put me on a patient accounting team. I thought initially that I could learn the software and be successful. What they didn't tell me is that our team would be responsible for balancing hospitals books. I took my 2 required accounting courses in college. This wasn't enough to know how to keep a hospitals books in balance. I spoke to my mentor and manager repeatedly about my struggles. Everyone on my team had the attitude that they had it harder than I did and that it was almost a right of passage to be completely overwhelmed, lost and 100% confused for the first 18 months or so. I'm a hard worker and I take a lot of pride in doing a job well, so this ended up causing severe depression and even health problems. After a year at Cerner, I decided that my salary wasn't worth risking my health. I quit. I took a job with a pay cut and it's amazing how much happier I am and healthier I am.

Taking a lunch hour was looked down on. Leaving campus to go to the doctor was also a mess. We had "unlimited sick leave" but that wasn't the truth. I had to make up hours when I left campus to go to the doctor.

Parking was a disaster. When I started they told us we would have to be shuttled from another site onto campus for the first month. When I left the company a year later, I was still taking the shuttle.

I read reviews on here when I was going to KC to interview but I just thought the few negative comments were disgruntled employees. I wish now that I would have taken them into consideration.

Management doesn't need to be based on tenure. Just because someone has been with the company doesn't mean they are good management material. Maybe you should consider going for people with some background in management or just someone that cares about people. My manager was cold. She didn't care about us as people. It was an unfortunate experience.

Other reviews for Cerner

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Long term career potential
    Working with very intelligent people
    Gym on site

Cons

Poor management
    False hope
    Feeling 'stuck' in a role because it benefits the team when talents could be utilized in other roles
    Micro managed
    Feeling guilty for using a sick day when you are actually very Ill
    Extremely draining and hard not to leave work at work
    Expected to work through lunch and clock extra hours consistently
    On-call responsibilities periodically with no extra pay
    Hiring people in who are fast - tracked to higher roles when other current associates are equally if not more qualified. It makes them feel unimportant.
    Good luck getting into the walk in clinic on site when you are sick

Listen to your associate feedback. Is it really worth losing a valued associate because you won't match pay that the person should be receiving in a higher role with more responsibility? There is a lot of turnover because people find that they can earn more and have a better work life balance outside of Cerner.

Cultural activity was so good and attractive

Pros

Good people and good team organizing spirit .

Cons

Management was to be improved more .

Improve team managing

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!