Cerner

www.cerner.com

Blinded by all of the perks

Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat insurance, starting salary is good

ConsNo input as to where you'll be placed. I was asked if I wanted to travel or not. I said no because I was a newlywed and new to the area. I didn't want to be gone all of the time and leave him home alone. That was the only input I got. I graduated with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems. They put me on a patient accounting team. I thought initially that I could learn the software and be successful. What they didn't tell me is that our team would be responsible for balancing hospitals books. I took my 2 required accounting courses in college. This wasn't enough to know how to keep a hospitals books in balance. I spoke to my mentor and manager repeatedly about my struggles. Everyone on my team had the attitude that they had it harder than I did and that it was almost a right of passage to be completely overwhelmed, lost and 100% confused for the first 18 months or so. I'm a hard worker and I take a lot of pride in doing a job well, so this ended up causing severe depression and even health problems. After a year at Cerner, I decided that my salary wasn't worth risking my health. I quit. I took a job with a pay cut and it's amazing how much happier I am and healthier I am.

Taking a lunch hour was looked down on. Leaving campus to go to the doctor was also a mess. We had "unlimited sick leave" but that wasn't the truth. I had to make up hours when I left campus to go to the doctor.

Parking was a disaster. When I started they told us we would have to be shuttled from another site onto campus for the first month. When I left the company a year later, I was still taking the shuttle.

I read reviews on here when I was going to KC to interview but I just thought the few negative comments were disgruntled employees. I wish now that I would have taken them into consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't need to be based on tenure. Just because someone has been with the company doesn't mean they are good management material. Maybe you should consider going for people with some background in management or just someone that cares about people. My manager was cold. She didn't care about us as people. It was an unfortunate experience.

Very rewarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros: Very flexible schedules, majority if coworkers are younger and recently… Cons: Too much travel can burn you out quickly, tough travel… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Mixed feelings

Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Long term career potential Working with very intelligent people Gym on site Cons: Poor management False hope Feeling 'stuck' in a role because it benefits the team when talents could be utilized in other roles Micro managed Feeling guilty for using a… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your associate feedback. Is it really worth losing a valued associate because you won't match pay that the person should be receiving in… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!