There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Pay is great, job is great, company is alright.

Current Employee - Device Administrator in Naples, FL
Current Employee - Device Administrator in Naples, FL

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive. Cerner is growing and doing very big things.

Cons

Can be long hours. Not always the best coworkers.

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

Blinded by all of the perks

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great insurance, starting salary is good

Cons

No input as to where you'll be placed. I was asked if I wanted to travel or not. I said no because I was a newlywed and new to the area. I didn't want to be gone all of the time and leave him home alone. That was the only input I got. I graduated with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems. They put me on a patient accounting team. I thought initially that I could learn the software and be successful. What they didn't tell me is that our team would be responsible for balancing hospitals books. I took my 2 required accounting courses in college. This wasn't enough to know how to keep a hospitals books in balance. I spoke to my mentor and manager repeatedly about my struggles. Everyone on my team had the attitude that they had it harder than I did and that it was almost a right of passage to be completely overwhelmed, lost and 100% confused for the first 18 months or so. I'm a hard worker and I take a lot of pride in doing a job well, so this ended up causing severe depression and even health problems. After a year at Cerner, I decided that my salary wasn't worth risking my health. I quit. I took a job with a pay cut and it's amazing how much happier I am and healthier I am. Taking a lunch hour was looked down on. Leaving campus to go to the doctor was also a mess. We had "unlimited sick leave" but that wasn't the truth. I had to make up hours when I left campus to go to the doctor. Parking was a disaster. When I started they told us we would have to be shuttled from another site onto campus for the first month. When I left the company a year later, I was still taking the shuttle. I read reviews on here when I was going to KC to interview but I just thought the few negative comments were disgruntled employees. I wish now that I would have taken them into consideration.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't need to be based on tenure. Just because someone has been with the company doesn't mean they are good management material. Maybe you should consider going for people with some background in management or just someone that cares about people. My manager was cold. She didn't care about us as people. It was an unfortunate experience.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- If you are placed in a good team, n u really do want to learn the technology, then you are good to go. If you are not, God save you..! - Healthcare industry is growing and so is Cerner. - Gym on site. - Managers with 22+ years of experience are nice to young engineers. - Some software architects are very nice in case of sharing their knowledge. - They have really intelligent people in the company from whom we can get to learn many new things if you are tech savvy.

Cons

- Worst training program for newly hired Software Engineers, you'll always have a strong chance of getting fired from DevCenter. Some of the Mentors assigned to the group of software engineers in DevCenter doesn't even have a little bit knowledge about the project which is assigned to the new software engineers. Some research project doesn't have information on Google, in that case a mentor with less knowledge just of no use to the new engineers to get the help from him.

Advice to Management

- Disclose the process of DevCenter to the new Engineers when u give them an interview Call. The new software engineers are unaware of this process n getting fired from the company, they join this company with lot of hopes, also sign lease agreements with apartments, buy the car, etc. After getting fired they are remained with no option other than to leave the place and pay money to these apartments. - The negative reviews about the company are already floating around in the market and on internet. - The day is not far when the new graduates will avoid getting into Cerner or considering Cerner as their last option if they don't have any option.