Overall good company, but poor raises and promotions within organizations.

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

- Good benefits
- Fast-paced industry

Cons

- Promise of great career opportunities with slow to little movement
- Mainly lateral moves (managers do not like to help you in advancement)
- Poor annual raises

Other Reviews for Cerner

Still early in my career, but so far Cerner is an amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Engagement Leader  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Engagement Leader in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cerner is composed of youthful energetic people. There seems to be an integrity among most and a sense you are contributing to making healthcare better. As a project manager, the processes seem very mature and seem to follow actual project management methods and management supports the right way to do things. People outside of Cerner often condemn the perceived "sweatshop" mentality and demands, but I find I have worked harder for less at other places. Cerner does make you feel valued as a person and employee. Other large local corporate employers (esp. in the Telecom industry) could learn a lot from Cerner.

Cons

This might be more a reflection of Healthcare IT, but things seem to be very Cerner-ified. Terminology is very proprietary and only loosely follows what you would consider to be traditional and accepted IT methods and terminology. I think as the industry matures, we are bound to see a shift in this regard. It's not a problem, it only makes it more challenging to translate experience and apply it at Cerner.

Some managers, I don't think have the management experience they need. This is probably a reflection of Cerner's rapid growth. Many seem very youthful and seem more interested in authority than growing the team professionally. There is a diversity in approaches but seems like theory x style management rules the day.

Good Company

Former Employee - Velocity Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Velocity Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training program, good pay for first job out of college with no experience. Work facilities are nice. On site gym and delicious cafeteria, as well as coffee shop. On-site medical care and pharmacy. Ability to work from home when necessary.

Cons

Can be long hours for some employees, was not the case in my role.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!