Cerner
www.cerner.com Kansas City, MO 5000+ Employees

Enjoyable atmosphere - A GAMBLE as your first job

Velocity Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly coworker, young culture, excellent employee benefits, flexible hours if you are in Consulting, managers do not micromanage

ConsPoor training program, ambiguous job roles, lack of employee development that extends outside the company, bad retention rate

The largest problem with Cerner currently is the disparity between the job advertised to college grads and the actual positions. Almost no one has any idea what will really be expected of them when they start training. they've heard this rumor and that but Cerner does a very poor job of putting together a clear, comprehensive explanation of their consulting organization.

Also, and this is why I say working with Cerner is a gamble, they hire based on projected projects and need. They're process is very cyclical with clients and there are some very slow points in the year - if you get point on a team or start at a time where work is limited, you will have NOTHING to do once done with training. I can not exaggerate that - many get stuck with months, not days, of downtime in the office where one must actively search out busy work. And very often, any billable work you find will not be helpful to you as an employee because your team works with very different parts of the software.

Some people get a great lot and end up with plenty of meaningful work with clients and travel right out of training, though, so there is a bright side. I wouldn't recommend it to any of my intelligent, driven friends, however, simply because the chances of being stuck at a desk doing little - to - no work is pretty high and it becomes very demoralizing/taxing.

Mixed Feelings

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros: - If you are placed in a good team, n u really do want to learn the technology, then you are good to go. If… Cons: - Worst training program for newly hired Software Engineers, you'll always have a strong chance of getting fired from DevCenter. Some of the Mentors assigned… Advice to Senior Management: - Disclose the process of DevCenter to the new Engineers when u give them an interview Call. The new software engineers are unaware of this… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overall good company, but poor raises and promotions within organizations.

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros: - Good benefits - Fast-paced industry Cons: - Promise of great career opportunities with slow to little movement - Mainly lateral… More

There are newer reviews on Cerner.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees.