Cerner

www.cerner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Good starting point for your career

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

While the hours are long, a benefit is that all of those hours are not spent in the office. The option to work remotely is a lifesaver.

You learn a lot about the "big business" world very quickly. As someone who was hired straight out of college, it was very eye-opening.

The benefits are incredible. The on-site clinics are great when you can actually get in to see a physician (the wait can be longer than 4 months). The on-site pharmacy is amazing! It's really convenient and affordable.

Cons

Work hours are treacherously long. The salary seems like a great deal in the beginning, but when you realize how many hours your working without overtime pay, it becomes quite the demotivator. With all of the hours I've put in, my hourly pay is less than $10. I can't see myself staying at this company longer than 2 or 3 years if there isn't a change in work-life balance.

There is very little communication between teams. No one really seems to know what other teams do and very few people have the can-do attitude when it comes to helping out other teams. "Not my job, not my problem." Very few people seems worried about output, unless it directly affects their position or team.

There are many inexperienced workers due to the younger culture. I think they tried to nip this in the bud with the velocity training program. However, this training is absolutely useless. It feels like a 4 week waiting room for your real job. The phrase "fake it until you make it" is your work life motto for most people during their first year of employment.

If you have capacity, take time to work together on collaboration projects with other teams. Listening and executing effectively can go a lot further than simply doing enough to cover your own butt.

Show appreciation to the team members who are effectively working well past the 40 hour week - there are at least a few on every single team in this company. Don't just keep piling it on, because you know they can do it. Show them that you know they can and that's why you're giving it to them.

796 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Be prepared for very long, irregular work week

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money. Cerner Management is always on top of things.

Cons

Very long work weeks, irregular hours make for a difficult life/work balance. Be prepared to be married to your laptop/cell phone.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

- Big Company
    - Perfect place with right pace to learn the technology

Cons

- Slow in process.
    - Not a good place for start-up mentality kind of people.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner