Cerner

www.cerner.com
  www.cerner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
-They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
-They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
-Great place for out of college first salaried job.
-They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
-People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
-Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
-They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
-You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
-Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

766 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

One of the best places to start your career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great training program for new graduates and even high school kids.
    Competitive pay and good benefits, including on site clinic and free access to the gym.

Cons

The organizations are constantly changing so you have to be able to adapt to changes quickly.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner