Cerner

www.cerner.com
  www.cerner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
-They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
-They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
-Great place for out of college first salaried job.
-They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
-People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
-Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
-They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
-You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
-Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

742 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner