Life in the Fast Lane!

Former Employee - Wing Spar Assembly  in  Wichita, KS
Former Employee - Wing Spar Assembly in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cessna full-time for less than a year

Pros

I found some of the most comforting people whom I worked with at Cessna Aircraft. They truly are a big happy family out there. There is a large amount of diversity as far as ethnicity, but it never got in the way of getting the job done and having fun while doing it. I cannot count how many times I was approached at work just by people wanting to know how I was doing after a back injury I suffered on the way to work one morning. The attitude is upbeat, and of course there was a little horseplay, but for the most part I cannot think of a single uncomfortable experience I had at Cessna.

Cons

Some of the downsides to working at Cessna was, for me, the drive. I lived about fifty miles away, and worked a very early shift. However I was off work by 2:30pm every day. The work was very precise, but I had great teachers too. The drive to and from was the only downside.

Upper management took me under their wing from the first moment I got there. With thirteen thousand employees, if would have been very easy to get lost in the crowd. Luckily for me I had very respondible crew members, as well as a very patient supervisor and crew chief.

Other Reviews for Cessna

Poor pay for office workers

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cessna full-time

Pros

Very nice people work there

Cons

Politics, Management doesn't get to know workers at all

Take the time to review/look at employee file when you get a new hire.

Diversity may be an issue

Current Employee - A&P Mechanic  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - A&P Mechanic in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cessna for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Salaries and benefits ok. Corporate culture generally fair at the Wichita Service Center, cannot say the same about Orlando and San Antonio where labor relations are very poor. Workforce highly diversified at the factory assembly lines (lower ranks).

Cons

Diversity an issue. Rarely seen a minority in lower, middle, or upper management roles. Very few compliance exceptions. Hard to believe that San Antonio, Orlando, and Mesa don't have qualified Hispanics for supervisory and management positions. Definitely an homogeneous culture. As a Latin American with a Bachelor, MBA and 8 yrs A&P was not able to be promoted from mechanic to supervisor. I gave up after several attempts. Nevertheless, I was called for the interviews. They do have minority clubs in Wichita, which in my opinion are made up for liability purposes by their homogeneous HR dept.

Diversify the workforce. Encourage an entrepreneurial spirit. Shift from task oriented to relationship oriented leadership in service centers, where the workers' readiness level is high.

There are newer employer reviews for Cessna.

Worked for Cessna? Contribute to the Community!