There are newer employer reviews for Champlain College

High Potential, Little Self Reflection and Organizational Responsiveness

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Champlain College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great variety of classes, expert instructors in some areas that come from realms of real-world experience especially business and game design, and generally decent and functional facilities with good staffing on physical spaces front. A small enough school to network within your realm easily, and approach direct supervisors without needing a set reason or appointment. Faculty can often be found in their offices, and people generally seem to like being there. Attempts by staff and admin to really enrich student life with events, speakers and support of student clubs, bring it far past its days as a accounting school for locals.

Cons

So many issues it's hard to make them seem connected. Organizationally challenged to the point of dysfunctional, not clear emphasis on any of the things they call "core values" or stated objectives and goals; lack of followthrough and accountability of both leadership and instructors seems par; student failure/mediocrity/flakiness is seemingly ok as long as they keep paying tuition; serious concerns about ability to keep up high-esteem that exists given that acceptance and retention rates aren't wonderful. Some facilities and initiatives seem funded but inaccessible to the college community. From an academic perspective, it is no longer the place for adult learners. Despite strong classes, the culture is not as tied to real-world, work- and life-experience as it boasts to be.

Stop with the duplicative jobs, roles, and be more accountable to students. Make staff/adjunct/faculty training and accountability a value. Deliver on the promises of your core values with actionable planning. Coordinate.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Champlain College (View Most Recent)

Emergent Media Center

Former Employee - Part Time Student Employee  in  Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Part Time Student Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Champlain College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working at the emergent media center I had the opportunity to create my own hours, work with some really GREAT STAFF, and with an amazing company culture

Cons

I can't think of anything big that I would be interested in changing. Maybe a better media services team for the college overall?

Great potential just needs effective leadership

Current Employee - Professor  in  Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Professor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Champlain College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great small town, highly energetic faculty & staff

Cons

The college has massive potential but is currently lacking in direction and effective leadership.

Stop the micromanagement and focus on the big picture

There are newer employer reviews for Champlain College

Worked for Champlain College? Contribute to the Community!