Charfen Institute

www.charfen.com
  www.charfen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Charfen Institute

The Charfen environment isn't for everyone.

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Accounting Department in Austin, TX

I have been working at Charfen Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. They have a no gossip policy - so hateful, discouraging, toxic behavior isn't tolerated. It's seriously the most healthy environment ever.

2. It's true that there are a lot of metrics and time tracking which I did not like at first. I was paranoid that if I had an unproductive day I would be fired - but its not like that. It's just a way for you to stay focused. There is a lot expected from everyone, there is a high amount of accountability that is required - and the time tracking helps me keep distractions under control.

3. Best co-workers ever. The people there are awesome!!

4. Family is important. The Charfens and my manager care about my family and I don't feel torn between my job and being there for my kids and husband.

5. They offer tons of physical fitness incentives - monthly 5k's and free yoga classes. We all care about each other's health and fitness goals.

Cons

I realize this sounds very cliche' but I cant list one. I have been here a long time and the truth is - if you are looking for a job that is not challenging, if you don't like pressure, if you don't want to set goals or grow personally - this just isn't the place for you.

Stay true the SIDES.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Charfen Institute (View Most Recent)

A challenging and rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth.

Current Employee - Business Coach in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Coach in Austin, TX

I have been working at Charfen Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of individual attention from management aimed at developing employees. Managers show genuine interest in helping you achieve your goals, even those not work related.
    People are recognized for their achievements and there are very few office politics.
    They walk their talk when it comes to living by their core values.
    Collaborative team environment amongst really cool, driven people.
    It's easy to see the tangible effect of your work and the products provided are making a huge difference to the lives of the clients.

Cons

The big goals set here aren't easy to achieve and it takes a lot of work to reach them, which means long hours some times, but the results are worth it.
    Everyone is very driven here, and for those who are really competitive it can be difficult to stick out among all of the talent.
    I did take a reduction to salary to work here.

Wow, what a bunch of whiners.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Charfen Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here for almost two years, and it was two of the best years of my life. The culture drives you to be better than you already are, to push yourself beyond any limitations or fears you have. Yeah, it's scary and hard. It's certainly easier to just give up and blame someone else (as so many of these reviewers have) when great pay and loads of recognition don't just fall in your lap.

When I first started there, I was concerned about my starting pay. It was thousands of dollars less than what I was used to making. But I liked the energy of the place and so decided to give a shot. Within three months, I got my first (and pretty significant) raise. After the first year and two additional raises later (and countless bonuses), I was being paid very well for what I was doing. I had to work my butt off to prove how valuable I was, but for a company to recognize and compensate hard work several times in the first year is absolutely unheard of.

So yeah, if you're not willing to show up and work for better pay, I don't blame you for wanting to leave. But I do blame you for complaining about it, because you had an opportunity to make it happen for yourself.

I've also seen many reports of work-life balance issues, and not being able to leave after "typical" work hours. I had to pick up my kids at 5:30 every day, which I made clear from the outset of my employment. They actually reminded me sometimes that I needed to leave at 5PM or I would be late. Yeah, I had to do some work from home, but that's what happens when you're trying to establish your career (you work hard, harder than the next guy). Besides, they give you badass equipment to make sure that working from home or on the go is easier for you.

Nobody cares more about the welfare of their employees than the owners, and they've enlisted the help of demanding but fair executive management to make sure that the company - and the welfare of the employees - are headed in the right direction.

They're busy, though, and sometimes you have to chase them down to communicate with them. And if your heart is truly in the right place and you're trying to improve the company for everyone, they are completely willing to listen. If you're just complaining or being completely selfish, forget it.

Plus, where else are you able to have access to the CEO on almost a daily basis? The daily huddle is an opportunity to reaffirm and realign the company's vision and everyone's role in that. It's also a place where extraordinary work is recognized.

Drinking the Kool-Aid: A ridiculous way to say "I couldn't cut it" without accepting any responsibility.

Cons

Accountability: You can't fly under the radar. You will be held responsible and expected to do what you are paid for (plus some if you want to get ahead). You will be expected and encouraged to grow. The only reason I left is because I wanted to start my own business. This company inspired me to break down some self-limiting beliefs about what my future had in store for me, and I couldn't be more appreciative of their support.

Unbelievable talent: There's a lot of brilliant people that work here. You're going to have to work really hard to stand out.

Breakneck speed and change: This place adapts quickly to an ever-changing market, you must be able to embrace change and trust that the leadership has good reason for it.

Patience: You must have patience and vision to work here. It's high paced, high stressed, and demanding, but you must be able to see and share in the company's vision that it is all worth it. In the end, you will be a completely better person for it.

I don't want to downplay how serious I am about this, but I have to say it because it's so fitting.

Haters gonna hate.

Don't be discouraged by negative reviews. Miss you guys, miss the huddle, all my best to each and every one of you!

There are newer employer reviews for Charfen Institute