There are newer employer reviews for Charles River Laboratories

They treat you poorly, just like they do with their animals.

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician II  in  Wilmington, MA
Current Employee - Animal Care Technician II in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories

Pros

The only really pro I would bother to mention is that I am 'required' to work so much overtime that my paycheck is a lot larger than I expect every week. It is great if you don't have friends, family, children, pets, or any other commitment in your life...

Cons

Disrespect at every level, unfair work practices, punishing the hardest workers with additional work, forcing resignations of higher paid employees, disregard for animal welfare, constant threats, NO vacation time allowed (you have to come in regardless). Legally questionable labor practices. Worst place I have ever worked in my entire career.

Your employees make the company run, hurting them is hurting the company. Your constant disregard of your own operating procedures and protocol will eventually catch up with you.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Charles River Laboratories (View Most Recent)

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories

Pros

They actually have good pay and if they followed their own SOPs and guidelines good advancement opportunities. They treat the animals well because that is the right thing to do and it is their business. There are tons of breaks, basically whenever you want and plenty of people show up late and leave early. So, you only work like seven hours a day and get paid for eight. There are paid holidays and if you work on Thanksgiving or Christmas, food is provided, usually from Boston Market. They do take care of their employees and give lots of room for error.

Cons

Unfair treatment of employees, supervisors are incompetent. I understand their hands are somewhat tied and they cant make a decision without corporate but why are they needed then? Employees are lazy, disrespectful, rude and selfish. While some are busting a hump in the back, others are sleeping at their desk as a supervisor walks by and says nothing. If you are lazy, great place to work. If you work hard, run for the hills!! The drama makes the pay not worth it.

Start from the top. You need new supervisors in ACS, Tech ops and Necropsy. Senior techs in ACS need to be let go as they continually teach new people not to follow SOPs and can't even set up a rodent rack correctly. Bottom line is you need employees that want to be there and care about the animals more than when they get their next break.

Unprofessional, contradicting, disrespectful, misinforming upper management that engages in unethical work practices.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories

Pros

The pay and benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Upper management does their best to suppress their workers by overloading them with too much work, discouraging taking breaks, saying you didn't meet their expectations when you did, hiding relevant information, showing favoritism to people that otherwise contribute nothing to the company, and finding ways of getting people they don't like to quit. Reporting any matter is laughed at and never addressed. Previous reviews of this company are pretty accurate.

Instead of belittling your employees, value them. Listen to what they have to say. If the majority of people are saying the same thing, mabey the way things are handled should be reevaluated.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles River Laboratories

Worked for Charles River Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!