There are newer employer reviews for Charles River Laboratories

Management is nothing more than a few high school graduates who've put in their decades with the company.

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Kingston, NY
Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Kingston, NY

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can stick it out (years), you will eventually end up making a good paycheck and they offer good benefits. The women in the front office are very kind and helpful. It was always a pleasure to see and speak with them. There are also a few good supervisors at this company but they are truly few and far between.

Cons

The job is very physical and demanding. Most people at the plant are just horrible to each other and go out of their way to be difficult and hurtful to one another. Most supervisiors look the other way, or, they are the worst offenders of them all when it comes to bad behavior. I've known workers, both men and women, who have been brought to tears because of the Bully in charge. Good work reviews are given to lousy workers because some supervisors are whimps, and in turn that hurts the team (but they don't care). SOP's are ignored and so is the humane treatment of the animals. If you tell anyone about it (which you're supposed to do) it is ignored as well. Charles River Labs is a company that says it will not tolerate harassment of any kind. Yet harassment runs rampant there, starting at the top within management and trickling down to the lowly peons. If management has an issue with you, they will go out of their way to give you a hard time at every bend in the road. The opposite is true if management likes you, well then, you're the golden child. Favoritism runs the show and brown nosing takes a close 2nd.

Put in your resignations and let some real professionals have a chance to run this company the right way. It's time to start at the top and get rid of the dead wood, then work your way down the ladder. That's how you cut your budget Mr. Foster.

96 Other Employee Reviews for Charles River Laboratories (View Most Recent)

Charles River promotes a work-life balance

Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Charles River is a large company with a smaller, family-oriented feel. Employees are challenged to do their jobs well and achieve goals - both related to their own personal development and company objectives. We are also given the flexibility and autonomy to manage our own responsbilities and schedules. This helps promote a positive work-life balance, as does one of the company's great benefits - "summer breeze" (half-day Fridays in the summer).

Cons

I suggest bringing your own lunch. There are not many places to eat within a 5-10 minute drive, and the cafeteria could be better.

Stressful time and profit driven company.

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work in a GLP environmemt.

Cons

When the company was closing management kept employees guessing as to who would get the axe next. Very shabby treatment.

Act like your employees are valuable.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles River Laboratories