Charles Schwab

www.schwab.com
  www.schwab.com
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Good People and Good Benefits But Pay and Environment Really Varies by Department

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- On the whole, you work with a lot of good people who know what they are doing
- Great benefits and a company that goes out of their way to try and help their employee's fulfill their financial and personal health goals.
- Overall company's objectives and goals are something I can get behind and feel good about.
- Company provides many in-house training opportunities.

Cons

- Lots of people who stay for a very long time, which can stagnate progress (resistance to change).
- Legally conservative company with lots of red tape that does a decent job to protect the brand but also slows progress and change
- Pay is average to below average compared to others in industry in area. HR is not very creative at coming up with ways to recognize employees for their contributions.
- To move up, you have to change departments. Difficult to grow within.

- Give Managers more ways to recognize their employees in a meaningful way.
- Become more efficient at weighing legal risk vs time to market rewards and new business growth

890 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Good Benefits, pay a little low

Former Employee - Registered Representative I in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative I in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (vacation time, sick time, good health benefits), a lot of opportunities in other departments, time off for volunteering, good work life balance

Cons

Pay is a little low. Employee moral was a little low (but it was during the big downturn in the market). Although there is definitely opportunity to move to other departments, most of the moves are lateral. There isn't a lot of room for upward advancement.

Keep an eye on what your employees are feeling...bad morale spreads quickly

Started really well, career flatlined and ended frustrated.

Former Employee - Registered Representative II in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative II in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can learn one aspect of the industry there. Very all inclusive company in terms of all the services offered.

Cons

Management treats their employees awful. Micromangement is rampant. They continually raise your goals to the point where no one can achieve them (Unless you are one of the chosen few who will fast track up the ladder). Not the company that I hired in with years ago. When I have discussions about investing with new people I meet I recommend they do not do business with Schwab due to the poor treatment of the employees.

Get a clue. Stop being so self-serving and treat your employees with respect and share the wealth of success like the old days.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab