Charles Schwab

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Relationship Specialist

Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great 9-5ish scheduling and scheduled breaks throughout the day. Friendly people that are always willing to help you as you start out in your role. Flexibility to move laterally if you feel another area of service may work better for your skills and experience.

Cons

Not much upward mobility at all. Despite the opportunity to grow laterally within the company there are not a lot of opportunities to move up into management or "senior positions". Even then, the largest incentive to move into management is removing yourself from the customer service and widgets you are gauged on. Pay is mediocre and the everyday workload is incredibly monotonous. The training is not consistent with real world applications and typically most of what you learn is from first hand experience of what not to do after you do it. Unorganized policies and processes as well as where and how to find them. Mid level management is more of a "here ya go boy" than operational position. When guidance is needed from mid level management a fair amount of self discovery will provide you more assistance.

Update training for new hires and on going training after hiring. Create more developmental training to expand people's skills versus constant cheerleading sessions on why we do what we do and our need to focus on what we've been focusing on since day one. Challenge mid level management to know their craft. When their staff constantly knows more of what to do than the manager, there's a larger issue on who gets promoted and why and tends to lead to rapid turnover. One of the largest issues I saw while there is that the employee holds no real power. In customer service, allegedly, the customer is always right. In this role the employee needs to know the policies, have easy access to those policies, and have the power to enforce those on the customer when needed. Being as the customer is the advisor it does make it challenging but the mindset of, when they say jump, we say how high, will ultimately burn the advisor, the company, and possibly the end client.

934 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Last one out, turn off the lights

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great.... and well... co-workers are great. Schwab used to be a great place to work, however, the environment has certainly changed.

Cons

Pay is embarassing.
    Upper management is completely disconnected.
    The bulk of middle management are in the business of collecting checks, as opposed to working
    Human resources has no clue what skills are needed for financial services.. I honestly question where they find these people.

Start from scratch. The entire E-board has run this company straight into the ground.

Good culture but the company needs to do more to keep its employees

Former Employee - Premier Lending Associate in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Premier Lending Associate in Englewood, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. I met some very smart and hardworking people at Schwab, its a shame that they arent rewarded like they should be.

Cons

Pay is on the low end for most entry level type jobs and the company hasn't given good raises or bonuses since 2007. While I was there, the attitude from leadership seemed to be one of "If you don't like your job than hit the road because we can find someone else." What ever happened to viewing employees as assets rather than seat fillers?

Work harder to reward everyone who does a good job, not just the top 5% of performers. Stop making excuses on why you can't pay more and become more competitive with peer companies in terms of compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab