There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

A great work environment

Former Employee - Account Retail  in  Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Account Retail in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

This was one of my first jobs out of grad school and the culture is greta. The human resources element is taken very seriously and the culture is supportive.

Cons

retail is hard and depending on the location, if you work at a branch the public can be very difficult. The money is not top tier but then again, its a bank not an iBank.

Allow the junior stars to move up faster.

863 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked! Potential New Hires Researching the Company: DO NOT ACCEPT!

Former Employee - Registered Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Several great coworkers
    - Good insurance (although apparently this has since been ruined...)
    - The day you leave will bring about a wonderful feeling of freedom.

Cons

- Literally everything else. Management does not care to assist you in your job or on the job learning, although most lack the skills to have the ability to help at all. Compensation is poor for the tediousness of answering 70 - 80 phone calls a day (also, new hires will be paid more then you about a year after your hire. Ask for an increase to just balance this out? You will literally have your loyalty question or get fired). Phone calls are the ENTIRE scope of your work (don't let HR lie to you, they purely get compensated for recruiting). You will be judged entirely on having clients click in specific areas and selling less then helpful Schwab tools. If you spend too long helping a client, no matter what wonderful thing you have done for them, you will have a conversation with your manager about call times and helping the client in the least amount of time possible. In other words, get them to click somewhere, transfer money in and hang up immediately.

Even though there is no time for training, there are plenty of hours free for team meetings to share what your favorite restaurant is with the group! Turnover is at about 30 - 40%, I literally saw my 12 person team go through about 10 people... in a year.

You will get licensed and Schwab will pay for it, but they will hold it over your head every time you are up for a performance review. So, get excited for your possible 2% raise. Bonuses were small during my time, but apparently are getting even worse. They will be around $2,000 to maybe $3,000 a year (this includes $500 quarterly bonuses). You will NEVER receive the "possible" $5,000 to $6,000 bonus.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A JOB HERE: Read the reviews. Pretty much every negative one is at least 90% truth. Most positive ones were written by managers, I personally witnessed several.

There is no point in providing advice. The company gets worse and worse in its treatment to employees. 70% of people there are dying to find a new job so they can leave no matter what your "anonymous" employment surveys show.

Worst company I have worked for

Former Employee - Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Direct quote from HR to fellow employee, "Well if you don't like it you can go somewhere else, and in this economy good luck." Fellow employee got his license and was still making about 10% less than new hires off the street were hiring in at. He had made all of his "numbers" and had outstanding reviews. Rep came from another department and was treated like a second class citizen. When he met with HR and commented on the fact that strangers off the street were making more than him the response above is was what he got. This i think really is the best Pro to working for the company, you can quit, you don't have to stay, escape is possible. I wouldn't recommend this place to my most hated enemy. I loved this company, it was the company I wanted to work for most of my life and it was a huge disappointment.

Cons

Pay is dismal, as of 2013 they killed the benefits, the management is the worst I have ever seen including my jobs at Kmart and Burger King from high school!!! They manipulate people and offer no room for advancement. Favoritism is at an all time high, I have never seen so much manipulation of power in my life. I have seen great workers held back and watched terrible people succeed. Something akin to a bad movie, the company makes Initech (Office Space) look like a nice place to work. During my 3 year sentence I watched about 250+ people come and go in my small depart that holds at max 45 people! That kind of turnover is a bad sign. It's not just one person in management it's the management overall.

Fire middle management then yourselves, you have ruined a great company!

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!