Micromanagers and Bullying Culture Dominate Schwab

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Nice facilities -- Wellness reward ($250/yr) -- Quarterly bonus

Cons

After working in corporate America for over decade, I'd have to say that some of the worst micromanaging occurs here. If you're looking for a career where you work more autonomously, do not apply at Schwab. Many of the managers here also see only one way of doing things. I think this is why Schwab struggles so much with innovation. If you don't do things your manager's way, it's wrong. There's also a bullying culture at Schwab. I've seen a number of other posts related to this on here. VPs, Directors and even some Sr. Mgrs are bullies in the workplace, putting others down when they get the opportunity. The sad part is even if you report them, nothing gets done. I'm aware of two HR complaints filed against individuals for bullying and those two people have not been removed from the company or even demoted. One manager who managed a bully even admitted he didn't know how to deal with his bullying report. Because he didn't know how to handle the situation, nothing was done. I would not recommend working for Schwab. It has not been a good experience for me and a number of folks I know.

Advice to Management

Deal with the bullying complaints before Schwab really gets in trouble.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

1. very professional environment

Former Contractor - Staff Software Applications Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Staff Software Applications Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

collaborative team effort. good benefits. at your own initiative you can develop and grow your career path. everybody is very approachable from managers, business partners, tech support and change management staff.

Cons

lots of politics at the higher level but if you are in a non-managerial position you're position should be safe unless the economy is really bad .

Advice to Management

eliminate politics if possible.

Good not great place to work

Current Employee - Operation Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operation Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest pros are the benefits and 401k match. The benefits are top notch in the industry and its tough to beat the 401k match at 5% of salary.

Cons

The base salaries are low and it seems like Schwab would rather pay little and "groom" their employees rather than hiring more qualified individuals at a higher base pay.