There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Perfect job for a person with IQ of 80 or below. Must Love Bingo, Pokeno and Coloring.

Current Employee - Broker Trainee  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Broker Trainee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I no longer work there.

Cons

When hired they never tell you that there is sales involved. They also never tell you that it is a call center. If you have never worked in call center, you will not know that in this job you do not have any autonomy on anything. Your breaks, lunchtime, and desks are selected for you. I often called it Schwab High School. They tell you silly phrases like "make new best friends on the phone call" or "this is a fun job" You are required to play silly games like Bingo, Pokeno, and do coloring activities ... yes I am serious coloring..like crayons and markers .... If you have a backbone and do not particpate in these ascinine activitie , expect a write up. I was written up for not playing Bingo and not using my personal time to go to happy hour on my own personal time for team activites. If you are person of an IQ of about 80 it is the perfect place to work. They will think for you so there is no need for reasoning or logic.

Evaluate job performance not similarities of personalities. Not every good employee wants to be your friend.

857 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

A great work environment

Former Employee - Account Retail  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Retail in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

This was one of my first jobs out of grad school and the culture is greta. The human resources element is taken very seriously and the culture is supportive.

Cons

retail is hard and depending on the location, if you work at a branch the public can be very difficult. The money is not top tier but then again, its a bank not an iBank.

Allow the junior stars to move up faster.

The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked! Potential New Hires Researching the Company: DO NOT ACCEPT!

Former Employee - Registered Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Several great coworkers
    - Good insurance (although apparently this has since been ruined...)
    - The day you leave will bring about a wonderful feeling of freedom.

Cons

- Literally everything else. Management does not care to assist you in your job or on the job learning, although most lack the skills to have the ability to help at all. Compensation is poor for the tediousness of answering 70 - 80 phone calls a day (also, new hires will be paid more then you about a year after your hire. Ask for an increase to just balance this out? You will literally have your loyalty question or get fired). Phone calls are the ENTIRE scope of your work (don't let HR lie to you, they purely get compensated for recruiting). You will be judged entirely on having clients click in specific areas and selling less then helpful Schwab tools. If you spend too long helping a client, no matter what wonderful thing you have done for them, you will have a conversation with your manager about call times and helping the client in the least amount of time possible. In other words, get them to click somewhere, transfer money in and hang up immediately.

Even though there is no time for training, there are plenty of hours free for team meetings to share what your favorite restaurant is with the group! Turnover is at about 30 - 40%, I literally saw my 12 person team go through about 10 people... in a year.

You will get licensed and Schwab will pay for it, but they will hold it over your head every time you are up for a performance review. So, get excited for your possible 2% raise. Bonuses were small during my time, but apparently are getting even worse. They will be around $2,000 to maybe $3,000 a year (this includes $500 quarterly bonuses). You will NEVER receive the "possible" $5,000 to $6,000 bonus.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A JOB HERE: Read the reviews. Pretty much every negative one is at least 90% truth. Most positive ones were written by managers, I personally witnessed several.

There is no point in providing advice. The company gets worse and worse in its treatment to employees. 70% of people there are dying to find a new job so they can leave no matter what your "anonymous" employment surveys show.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!