There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Decent place to start a financial career.

Current Employee - Stock Broker in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Stock Broker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training in the beginning and a good introduction to the financial services industry. Co-workers are mostly helpful and engaged.

Cons

Poor starting salary. Very little chance of advancement unless you want another phone job. Management changes direction often and seems to have very little direction.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

Very corporate, not innovative, unwillingness to try new things

Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. No overtime (not common as a contractor anyway).

Cons

I was brought in as a contractor to help manage part of their online efforts and bring some fresh ideas to the table. My boss seemed very open and willing to implement these ideas, but I was always shot down by my coworker who constantly cited lack of resources and time to implement anything. Many people walk around like frightened birds, worried about the "proper" way to do things. And forget about taking a break while you're working, because all outside email and social media sites are blocked. You'll be spending a lot of time on your smartphone.

Advice to Management

Give employees more resources to innovate; they are too bogged down with plodding through their daily tasks to make drastic changes that would really benefit the organization.

All in all I was happy w/ my employment at Schwab. It could've been improved though--the firm has had too many changes.

Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, 1 month paid sabbatical for every 5 years of service, work/life balance, clear infrastructure & easy navigation throughout different departments, positive corporate culture

Cons

Way too many changes to objectives and the comp plan for financial consultants, an HR department that doesn't have the back of employees but is strictly there to protect management, poor compensation for overall responsibilities, poor identity of branch talent, lack of diversity