Charles Schwab

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Ho Hum

Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people with diverse professional and personal backgrounds.

Cons

Extremely slow mobility to move laterally, upward, etc.

be your employee's best advocate

904 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Good job, good benefits. But upward mobility is hard

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits---medical, dental, vision, retirement fund, etc.
    - employee can get a 1-month sabbatical, paid, after working at Schwab for 5 years as an FTE
    -Good company culture.
    -Depending on your department, good salary. I work in marketing division and have a very good SF salary while I work in a smaller city in the Midwest.
    -I enjoy working with a lot of smart, talented, healthy, down-to-earth nice people and see a lot of nice people in other divisions.
    -upward mobility is easy if you are a longtime employee
    -ergonomic setup is a great benefit

Cons

- I know call center folks have pay similar to other companies, which is a too low-end salary rate being that Schwab call center employees need to be certified with Series 7 etc.
    - upward mobility is difficult in various departments if you are not a long time employee
    - I work in a division with some long-time employees who are unprofessional and outright mean and vindictive to their fellow employees.I was surprised that they cannot be reasoned with and called out to speak and behave in reasonable tones. Because of their long-standing employment nothing serious is done about their behavior.
    -as in any work environment, favoritism exists. Favorites, those with longer work relationships or friendships with upper management, get the better projects and the better opportunities. Some inexperienced people have been put in management or director positions. This has caused a lot of mistakes, resistance to process, improvements and stress overall.
    - Schwab's implementation of multi-geography workforce and the process of relocating SF employees, and letting go of SF-based positions and rehiring those positions in branches in smaller cities is difficult for SF employees. some long-time SF employees are threatened, who can blame them. This has caused some friction in the ranks when old employees must work with new employees who have replaced their old colleagues. Unprofessional things happen but these are humans whose livelihoods are at stake.

I have seen some managers directors not do their jobs well. i recommend that anonymous reverse reviews(not complaints but reviews) for performance of upper management should be seriously considered.

Good pay but management is clueless & takes forever to make decisions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice pay, bonuses, good time off & volunteer opportunities, free covered parking

Cons

Management is too afraid to get rid of deadwood. There is a person in my department that does a horrible job, has had multiple complaints against him, makes constant inappropriate remarks and generally offends people on a daily basis. He has been there for years and all management does is talk about moving him to another department. Why does this idiot still have a job when many qualified people do not?

Also, Management spends too much time playing hot potato. Why is everyone so afraid to take responsibility? Decision making can take YEARS. Yes, YEARS. Ridiculous!

Also, way too much time is wasted in meetings.

Butch up & fire those that deserve it. If a customer complains or if more than one complains, do something about that person! Also, those cubicles are totally 1970s. Give people decent places to work

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab