Charles Schwab

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

Committed to Customers - restrictive culture

Former Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Absolute dedication to it's clients
Always ask "is this the right thing to do for our customers" before making business decisions
Very high integrity from top down

Cons

Very slow moving
Beauracratic
Sr. HR leadership is more concerned with their own careers than those of employees.
quiet

Foster Innovation from the bottom up more

937 Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab (View Most Recent)

Registered Rep is a good entry level opportunity.

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company, good benefits, good entry level position for someone looking to get in investments or to become a financial advisor.

Cons

Pay is not very good, at least as a registered representative. Some questionable management/supervisor selections.

A highly trained monkey...

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are a lot of fun - and that's about all I like. I'm writing more now to meet the 20 word minimum, but there's nothing redemptive about this job or this company.

Cons

Low pay - among the lowest in the industry. I have a Series 7 and 63 license, and I make less than $40 grand a year.
    Miserable job - it's entirely reactive, unimaginative, and passive. There's no room for creativity or growth or development or even individual thought.
    Bad Technology - the computers barely work, they're still stuck running DOS systems, and their idea of an upgrade is Windows 8.
    Limited Advancement - They think that a lateral move is a promotion. They promise raises without coming through on it.
    Schedules - rigid, unreasonable schedules. You can't get time off, you can't trade shifts, and 30 minute assigned lunch breaks (mine is at 10:00 am - it's such a treat).

All in all, you're treated like a child - told when to show up and when to leave, no flexibility in your schedule or your time. No independent thought, no creativity, no real opportunities. It's not a career - it's a job. And a low-paying job at that.

I don't mind an empty, unfulfilling job that is not challenging or interesting or fun, but at least compensate us well for it. The clients range from clueless to hostile, and we're stuck dealing with it with "positive language". We don't have an opportunity to grow, and there's no real incentive to work hard, because even at our best, we're only getting the lousy salary you give us.

There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab